SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
di_mollie

Fig tree and PH

di-mollie
14 years ago

Hi all you fig growers out there,

Is it possible that the high PH of my soil affects the figs on my newly planted Desert King. I took a root shoot from a neighbor's tree a few years back, kept it in a large tub until this past spring when I planted it in a new area of my garden. Since it was large enough when I transfered it to the ground, it is producing figs (which it had actually already started last year when still in the tub), but the figs are not as they should be. The inside is yellow instead of strawberry color, they are sweet, but sort of tasteless. The few that it produced last year were fine in color and in taste.

I am completely puzzled. The PH in most parts of my garden is about 7.5 to 8, which I am working at lowering, but I haven't done anything to change the PH in that part of the garden yet. As far as I know, fig trees are quite tolerant with the kind of soil they are planted in, but I never really questioned if the PH could affect them negatively. Also, I live on a small island situated between Vancouver island and Canada's mainland, and we are having an extremely dry summer. Could that have anything to do with it?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals