SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klimkm

Evergreen hedge opinions

klimkm
17 years ago

I know everyone posts questions about evergreen hedges.... here is another one. I am so confused....

I am starting to plant along a fence line in order to screen out an undesirable neighbor.

Exposure is dappled sun part shade. Soil, not great, high clay content although I do amend when I plant. Tends towards alkaline.

I currently have two "eastern red cedar" or juniperus virginiana, which are doing very well. Can I make a hedge / screen out of those? How tall and wide can I expect these to be at the 5 year point? I was planning on getting more transplants to fill in, IF these can be planted to make a hedge. Also what is the recommended spacing of these for a hedge if this is even possible.

OR:

I could go with the arborvitae thuja occidentalis wintergreen variety, but I am afraid these would be browsed by deer too much. As we have deer around here, although I have not had too much of a problem with them yet. I like the arborvitae because it would seem to provide more of a thicker dense screen.

How far apart would you plant these for a hedge?

OR:

I am also considering blue point juniper which is a narrow taller form, which I have one already and like it. Although it is kind of slow growing.

OR:

I have some yews hicksii (narrow form ones) already planted in my yard, and some do well and some have died off because I have areas in specific spots where there is poor drainage.

Would it look weird to combine all these evergreens in the hedgerow? I am afraid of having just one type of plant because the fence line is so long - 200+ feet and I am afraid that if a blight comes through it would wipe out everything.

Has anyone done "combination" privacy hedges? Or is this weird?

Opinions please! Thanks.

Comments (4)