SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
passion4passies

Evergreen Hedges/Shrubs

passion4passies
13 years ago

Good morning,

I am desperately looking for a tough, evergreen shrub or bush for use as a privacy screen. I need it to get to about 8 to 10 feet, and don't mind trimming.

About 4 years ago we planted over 1500.00 in ficus, but the freak cold snaps we've had last few years keep taking them to the ground.

This spring we are going to pull up.

The hedge line will be about 200 feet long/deep. I need something that grows fast, can tolerate the poor Florida (sandy) soils, and stays green year round. Any suggestions would be great. I am trying to avoid cypress and relatives of it. Rhodies and azaleas are most likely out, as it is an open, windy location and hard to get extra water to it.

Without putting a solid 'name' to my new hedge, any buddelia experts? Would they work? Does the bicolor grow well here, and is it evergreen?

Please help me, I really am desperate to solve this issue. The property I need to cover is owned by a guy who constantly rents, and 9 times out of 10 they are loud, trouble making types we don't want to see, much less socialize with.

Thank you fellow Floridians, for any help you might offer me!

PS: Anyone need a truckload of ficus????

Comments (12)