SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
montreal_gw

potted dwarf conifers

montreal
16 years ago

Hi,

Last spring I bought 4 dwarf Thuja Occidentalis and planted them in pots (approx. 16"x16" plastic pot inside a bigger ornamental resin "wicker" pot). They sit on my balcony. They did well but now I'm worried about insufficient insulation for the planters during the winter. I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada and our winters are quite cold and long.

I have put all 4 planters together to form a square. I've wrapped the perimeter of both inner and outer pots with bubble wrap. I've mulched the top of each planter. I've built a wooden frame for the 4 pots which I am using to support rigid polystyrene insulation boards and burlap around the perimeter of the frame. I've also put wooden boards on the sides of the frame to prevent wind damage.

I'm not too worried about the wind as the boards protect the little shrubs very well. What worries me most is the degree of insulation needed to keep the roots from freezing over and dying. Since there is a lot of air leaking through the insulation boards, I was thinking I should buy some insulation batting to cocoon the planters. This is their first winter.

The planters are sitting on a rigid polystyrene insulation board (R-12).

I am willing to do the work if someone is willing to guide me as to what works for this particular situation and zone.

Please help... I don't want to lose them...

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting