SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19709021

Rooting a cutting question for 'elder'...

User
17 years ago

Three weeks ago I had the opportunity to take a few cuttings from what appears to me to be a Brunswick, loaded with huge delicious figs.

After getting home I read this post here at GW:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0502001022716.html?28

and decided to try elder's method "instead of the ground I use those plastic containers with the snap-on lids, Wal-Mart for about a buck, and lay the cuttings horizontally in potting soil mixed with 50% Perlite. I also get better than 100%, more than one plant per cutting. I like using the containers because I have some control over the situation, I can actually watch the progress of the rootings, and I guess I just like to mess around with such things." for rooting.

After three weeks in one container I have some roots showing in the potting mix at the sides of the container, and a couple of roots protruding out of the mix at the top but no buds or indications of leafing. I may have misunderstood the guidance but I covered the entire cutting; should I have left a portion of each cutting above the potting mix? Or will the leafing bud show itself after the roots have developed?

Comments (15)