SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbradley_gw

Question about placement of eastern red cedars.

sbradley
14 years ago

Hi all. I'm wanting to plant a living privacy screen on the south/south-east side of my property, to block the view of Trashville next door. I have 1.6 acres, so I've got plenty of room. I'd been looking at arborvitae and various other things...but I was just on Craigslist, and lo and behold, there's a local tree farm that's going out of business and they're liquidating, and the trees are CHEAP.

So I'm thinking about red cedars. According to the ad, they're selling the red cedars for $3 each, and all the trees being sold are between 5 and 15 ft tall. They're in the ground right now, and will be dug when you purchase them and put straight on your truck or trailer, not wrapped.

So...am I okay to plant red cedars and/or white pines on the south/south-eastern side of the house? I don't want to block all of my morning sun, because I garden extensively in the summer. But I'll trade morning sun for a foresty view instead of the junkyard I'm looking at right now. Available evergreens from this nursery are engleman spruce, white pine, and red cedar.

Any opinions need asap, and much appreciated!

Comments (3)