SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cngodles

Dawn Redwood (Metasequoia) Cones

cngodles
14 years ago

I recently became interested in Metasequoia. Of course, this lead to me wanting to grow one of my own. Just this Sunday I finally got to see the tree with my own eyes. There was one at the Pittsburgh Zoo that was very tall (60-80+ feet?). It had bundles of cones hanging from it, so I got about a half dozen.

Then I also saw one within two blocks from my house. This one is probably less than half the height of the one at the zoo. It did not have as many cones, but it did have them. They were very different in size.

Now I'm no expert on IDing the trees yet. But I figured it was them, they are turning brown/golden as Winter approaches. (I have since found a 3rd tree in Boyce Park).

I wanted to post a picture of the difference in the two cones. You would almost think they came from different species. The taller tree has a very straight and round trunk. The smaller tree is straight, but the trunk is more varied.

The cones have only been home 2 days and they already started to crack open. The smaller ones faster. Top is from the taller tree.

I'm going to attempt to grow the seeds. I also ordered one for myself to try and grow indoors until Spring. It's an 18" seedling that has lost it's leaves already (but has buds). It should arrive in a few days (5.95, not a bad price).

Any help, guidance would be helpful. I was a total bamboo nut a few years back, and I think I'm starting to find something else.

{{gwi:841156}}

{{gwi:841158}}

Comments (15)