SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oklahomarose

Cottage Gardeners - Who Wants A Greenhouse?

12 years ago

Hi, folks. I just discovered this forum and love it. (Been wandering around some of the others for years.)

I know there is a greenhouse forum on Gardenweb, but the conversation here is more fun. So I thought I would ask:

Who here wants a greenhouse? What are your plans to make it happen?

I bought a "flower house" made of heavy plastic from Amazon last fall--$169 and free shipping, about 10 feet by 8 feet. I overwintered a variety of annual ferns in it with success and on New Year's day (2011) starting potting seeds like mad.....zinnias, torenia, white marigolds, foxglove, heirloom daisies, petunias. I dismantled the house in early May and it takes up next to no room in my basement. I believe I can get another winter out of it.(Structurally, it is a lot like a big plastic tent, but very easy to walk around in....until I stuff it full of plants, of course).

The experience has made me long for a real greenhouse, and I am saving my pennies. It was WONDERFUL to tend plants through the cold months, and once I started my seeds I was absolutely obsessed with watching and waiting for them to sprout.

For someone who has their tools ready and materials at hand, the greenhoue forum is priceless, but right now I just want to dream with other "cottagers," while I'm saving my pennies.

I'll send pics this November when I put the house back together. I keep it on my south-facing deck, flush against the house wall and no problems with windblow.

I don't have my total plan together yet for what kind of greenhouse I will build--I would like to do some of the construction myself--but haven't ruled out buying the prebuilt kind. I am also considering building a chicken coop in my tiny backyard in midtown Tulsa--of course I want both, greenhouse and coop!--so I'm mulling design and layout.

So...........who else out there wants a greenhouse?

Comments (32)

Sponsored