SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tcharles26

Please help me find a central Texas nursery

tcharles26
17 years ago

Hey all - on the off chance there is another conifer enthusiast in my neck of the woods - anyone know a good nursery for conifers in the San Antonio / Austin area? Or anywhere in central Texas for that matter? Specifically, I'm looking for some cupressus culvitvars and / or cultivated varities of japanese black pine, something variegated or golden or otherwise interesting, grows reasonably fast (like shironme janome maybe).

These can already be scratched off the list: Rainbow Gardens on Thousand Oaks; Rainbow at Bandera; Fanicks on Holmgren; Schultz nursery in Marion; Several Calloway's nurseries. All hardware stores in my area. Fanicks purportedly specializes in trees and the hard to find item - but the person I spoke with today didn't know that there were any cultivated varities of japanese black pine?!

Plan is to keep trucking up I-35. I'm wasting a lot of gas in the gas guzzling pick-up, but I'm tired of paying out the nose for baby plants and paying to ship them across the country.

Have to say I'm a little jealous seeing Dan's pictures of stuff he picked up at nurserys in his area. Pictures which included two japanese black pines. That is supposed to grow well here, but Ive never seen anything but the plain species tree for sale, and those were not too great. Thanks in advance. And be sure to vote tomorrow.

Comments (2)