SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

My seedling bed at peak

shive
9 years ago

Almost all of the seedlings that will be blooming this year have bloomed, and I loved taking photos in the seedling bed this morning. Bud counts are down on nearly all of them due to almost no rain and no supplemental watering in May when scapes were forming.

Precious Candy X Twilight Illusion seedlings. I will be registering the round one with the edge at some point in the future. The clump is at 11 fans now, although some of them don't get enough sun to send up a scape in the crowded seedling bed. The more triangular one without an edge will either be given away or composted after it finishes blooming. The future intro will be divided and moved to a new full sun bed soon.

PC X TI that will be registered is a hardy evergreen. While most of my evergreen and some of my semievergreen seedlings lost fans or died in the face of zero temperatures without mulch or snow cover, this one was not impacted. It's 29 inches tall, usually has 18-20 buds on four-way branching. So far it hasn't rembloomed, but it is in part shade in the seedling bed.

"Laughing Hyena" Trimmer seedling X Back Scratcher will be registered in the future, hopefully under the name Gypsy Cats. This is my whopper with a 7-8 inch bloom that often sports teeth like cat claws on the edge. Last year it had 28 buds and five-way branching. This year, now in the shade, it''s down to 13 buds and 3-way branching. Normally it has 29 inch scapes. It multiplies very well, even in the shade.

Speaking of gypsy cats, here's Coco Columbus hiding in the seedling bed.

SOT X RR - This is the same seedling that looked rose pink just a few days ago. Now it's looking more of a rosy red. Good multiplier and rebloomer, but needs higher bud count to be registered.

ITM X SOP - This will be a future intro someday, but it is a slow multiplier. Still only at 5 fans. Great bud count and rebloom.

DBD X TJ #1 - Last year this 6.5 inch near white had 16-20 buds on 28 inch scapes. This year 7-8 buds on 20 inch scapes. This pretty baby didn't get enough water or sun this year.

ALA X CS - Possible future. Good bud count and blooms that hold their color in high heat and humidity.

Natalie Antoinette X SOP - The new baby in the bed - she first bloomed a few days ago. Nine buds in the first year of bloom. Keeping my fingers crossed that bud count and branching improves in subsequent years. She has a 6.25 inch true pink bloom.

Sun Bear X Julie Newmar

These are some seedling blooms I love, but in their present locations don't produce enough buds to be introduced.

Awesome Applique X Blazing Saddles

Comanche Magic X Never Been Kissed

Emperor Butterfly X Great White has 13 buds its first season. It's been less than 10 the past two seasons.

Bali Watercolor X Electric Mist - I really love this one. Will it get moved to full sun this summer? Time will tell. It usually has 13 buds.

Debra

Comments (17)