SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Arbour and swag - starting over....

The heat and humidity abated a bit here in the last two days so we've started to work on clearing out the big roses to make way for more friendly (thornless!) plantings. We started with the arbour and swag yesterday and cleared them both by noon today. We've decided to totally remove New Dawn on the south side of the arbour but leave part of the one on the north (house) side because I like the canes that wrap around the corner and into the mockaorange under the kitchen window. We'll have to be diligent in removing all other canes. We cut back all the exisiting clematises on the arbour to 3-4' just to make it easier to get everything off so we can clean the arbour. We'll add fertilizer and compost so hopefully they'll come back - if not, c'est la vie!

Arbour front view July 3 2010:

{{gwi:165285}}

Arbour - front view July 12 2010:

{{gwi:168820}}

Swag June 23 2010:

{{gwi:161708}}

Swag July 12 2010:

{{gwi:614462}}

I will have to adjust the swag chains to lower them a bit to make it easier for the clematises I will plant in the middle sections to reach the chains. It was startlingly bright in the pantry at noon - that window has been covered the the rose canes for so long that I forgot how bright the room should be!

We dug the big Blanc Double de Coubert rose out of its bed in the front garden this afternoon. The Angel roses around it were cut back to the ground but we ran out of steam so digging them out will be another day's work. As will be digging out the Therese Bugnet rose.

Once all that is done, the arbour needs to be cleaned, the overflow for the rainbarrel near the arbour needs to be 'fixed' (pipe laid to direct the overflow to water the south side of the alley...), planting holes dug and prepared and then the planting can begin - after I buy a few more clematises and hydrangeas...

Comments (16)

Sponsored