SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19717033

Breba fig observation and opinion.

User
16 years ago

In the colder climates as New Jersey,Leaving a breba crop on a fig that has a good main crop,makes the tree be late in maturing the main crop with at least 2,to 4 weeks.This is true even if you only have a handfull of breba on tree and most of them will fall by sommer time or will be very poor tasting or inedible as usually breba is.

I have a brown turkey,that sheded it's one breba fig 3 days ago and suddenly the main crop started growing very fast.

I have a Violette de Bordeaux,that have two dozen fully grown brebas on it right now.

The price to pay is that this VdB.has very few main crop,growing on it.

If by Chance the breba are poor tasting,the main crop will not have time to grow and be still unripe by the time the cold weather come.

So i end up with poor tasting breba that will ripe only.

If i was braking the breba crop in the Spring,i am sure the fig will be full of main crop figs fully grown by now.

In this case they will have enough time to ripe till Fall.

And i will end up with High quality ripe fruits.

So it is my Opinion that BREBA crop on figs with a good main crop,is a waste and not good in the long run for a good harvest.

San Pedro type fig as Desert King are excepted from this situation,because they have only a persistant crop,wich is Breba.

I hope this will Help new Grower,in deciding how to take care of their fig tree!!!

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!