SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reginaz_gw

Garden 2007

reginaz
16 years ago

Here are a few picture from my garden tour on June 9.

{{gwi:724610}}
{{gwi:724613}}
{{gwi:724616}}

Comments (41)

• Vikki1747
    16 years ago

Very, very pretty. I love your color combinations.
    Vikki

• lynnencfan
    16 years ago

Stunning pictures - WOW!!!! - bottom picture - what is the blue plant - nepeta/catmint????? Thanks for sharing....

Lynne

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Seed To Seed Gardens ...List 2007

Q

Comments (1)
    I sent you a email via GW. thanks, Dean
    ...See More

My Garden 2007 - Pond

Q

Comments (2)
    Hmmm......didn't work. Anyone have a tip on how to post pics from photobucket? Thanks Sandra Here is a link that might be useful: My Big pond 2007
    ...See More

Gardening @#$%%^$ 2007

Q

Comments (8)
    That is a real bummer on your loss BakeMom - been there done that - but I have learned that we Winter/SummerSowers are a tough bunch. My ornamental cabbage, kale, calendula babies are really sulking in this heat - I had fantastic germination but they have pretty much stalled out with 1 set of true leaves - I have them sheltered on the screened in porch but we are regularly in the triple digits here with no immediate end in sight. OTOH my rocket snapdragon babies are looking pretty good - I will plant them out when the temps break a little and maybe get some late fall/early winter bloom before they rest and hopefully do gangbusters in the early spring....at least that is what I have been telling them :):)...... Lynne
    ...See More

Grasses in the garden 2007

Q

Comments (21)
    A, I have acreage envy. Your gravel mound is bigger than my whole front corner bed pic above. g_g Hosta are in the plan. I already have 3 'Patriot' plants I bought in the spring from Brent & Becky's half-price sale, and a few dozen seedgrown Hosta, none of which came true to their parents. There are also 3 Rodgersia podophylla from B&B and 6 Astilbe, including 'Serenade' and 'Red Sentinel,' which had to be moved from their old location due to a change in sun exposure (tree removal). Other stuff going in will be seedgrown Heuchera 'Palace Purple,' Primula japonica, Geranium sanguineum 'Vision,' Potentilla atrosanguinea 'Melton's Fire,' Sesleria caerulea, Luzula nivea and sylvatica, species C. muskingumensis and Chasmanthium latifolium. I also have over 2,000 minor bulbs, mostly shade lovers, coming next month, so they'll get some room. The town is due to remove the old Maple in the left rear of the pic, which will give me a good deal more early morning sun, so I will probably throw a couple Japanese Maples in back there. I have 'Bloodgood,' 'Crimson Queen' and 'Orangeola' waiting in 10 gallon pots. There's probably more, but that's all I can remember. I also have a 36' by 8' north side foundation bed about to be cleared out. It's the overgrown wall in the picture, and is under a 70 year old White Pine, so is almost full shade. I'm going to have lots of shady spaces, so I'm open for any other suggestions. Ferns and Lamium will be high on the list next spring. I expect to bring in at least a couple of flats of them.
    ...See More
  • joydveenc7
    16 years ago

Wow, that's lovely. What a good idea to make your pergola and trellises a dark gray. It really shows off the blooms, doesn't it? I'm sure you got raves at the tour. Thanks for the posting.

• MollyDog
    16 years ago

Beautiful!

• pansyface2006
    16 years ago

Oh my, what a beautiful garden you have. Please show us more.
    Barb

• lavendrfem
    16 years ago

Oh Wow! (that was my first reaction!) Absolutely beautiful!

Estelle

• watchemgrow
    16 years ago

I really like your pergola with the roses growing on it. Everything is just lovely. I would love to see more!

Shawna

• moonphase
    16 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous.I too would love to have the names in the pictures,all would be nice but especially the last one of lavender and the orange bloom.I have not grown either so don't have a clue.Thanks'
    moonphase

• reginaz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry about that. I have alot more picture and I wanted to create a link to my album but I can't put any more pictures in it until I delete some others.
    The purple flower in the bottom picture is: Nepeta "Six Hills Giant" and the orange flower is: Gaillardia "Tokajer". For some reason this year the nepeta looked so blue!
    Here are a a couple more.
    This was taken June 9

And this is the same spot but 2 weeks later
    {{gwi:724620}}

• watchemgrow
    16 years ago

Regina - I think your garden is beautiful and I keep looking and looking at it! I love trees and it looks like your lucky enough to have quite a variety in your yard. Can you tell me what the name of the tree is that's framing the upper part of your last picture? I'm thinking...Redbud...but then again I have no clue what grows in your area.

You've done a fantastic job with all your plantings and I really enjoyed seeing your photos. I'm sure I'll come back time after time to take another look!

Shawna

• lindakimy
    16 years ago

How beautiful!! Thank you for sharing your gorgeous garden!

I really need to research that Nepeta! Wonder if it would do that well this far south? It certainly makes a wonderful background for the gaillardia!

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

Absolutely beautiful, serene and aaahhhh inspiring. You have done a wonderful job. Thank you for sharing with us.

FlowerLady

• gillian00
    16 years ago

I agree with the others; your gardens are gorgeous. I hope you share more pictures. Beautiful, stunning, peaceful!!!

• shellva
    16 years ago

Stunning!!!!!

What is the tall white flower behind the irises in the first photo. Also what is the rose growing up the trellis in the 3rd photo. Is that a couple of diferent roses together or just one? If several, what is the peachy colored rose bloom on the far left side of the trellis?

And my absolute last question....are YOU dealing with Japanese Beetles and if so how???? (okay, that was really a 2 in one!)

Thanks,
    Michelle

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Your garden is simply beautiful. Thanks for taking the time to share the pictures with us. I love the arbor with the natural finish.

• reginaz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone. Here are some of the answers to your questions. The tree is a Redbud tree, the whiteflower behind the iris in the first picture is Valerian and the roses on the arbor are Autumn Sunset which is just yellow) on one side and Alchymist on the other.
    When these pictures were taken, there were no Japanese Beetles but the beginning of July I did get them and it was a severe infestation.
    I had only gotten a few or none in years past. I did the usual, picking them off in the evening, vacumning them and my husband would squish them! I did put down Milky Spore but it takes two to three years to work.
    This was taken Junes 9
    {{gwi:724623}}
    Same spot two weeks later
    {{gwi:291636}}

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

You have a gorgeous garden, the grey color of your pergola makes a beautiful backdrop for the pink roses and all your other plants. Your flower beds have such a nice flow to them, their placement in the overall picture makes your garden picture perfect.

Annette

• shellva
    16 years ago

Regina,

Thanks for answering my questions and posting even more photos. Have you called the big garden magazines to come do an article on your property? You should!

I was so glad to hear you say that one white plant is valerian, I thought it was. I winter sowed some this past year so I haven't gotten any blooms yet.

Maybe it's because we are warmer sooner down here but the JB start around mid June and last into August. They seem to peak around the July 4th holiday. They are still going pretty strong. I have about 30 roses. The JB have really put a hurting on many of them. I'm to the point I am seriously considering getting rid of the plants but I dunno....sigh, frustrating to say the least!

I have put down Milky spores in the beds as I create them. As for the lawn, well, all I really have growing are weeds in compacted soil so I don't know how inviting my yard is for the grubs. I still put the spores down though. Maybe next year I will try the nemetodes as well.

One last question and then I'll leave you alone....but your photos keep bringing up more questions for me! What is that deep red colored plant at the corner of the flower bed in the middle of the first photo of your latest posting?

Thanks for your patience and thank you sooooo much for sharing your gardens with us! They are magnificent~

Michelle

• reginaz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Michelle,
    One of the major garden magazines did come here in June and took photographs and did a story. I did not contact them, someone in the local garden club sent a picture and then they contacted me. They said it would be in the magazine next year. The photo shoot was very different from the garden tour.
    I wanted to tell you not to give up on your roses, just give them more time. I'm in the same situation now with the JB's. Maybe together we can all figure it out. I keep reading that you shouldn't use the bags that trap them but I did use them around 10 years ago and then used the Milky Spore. In the years that followed there were hardly any of them. I'm not ready to give up yet. I do know how frustating gardening can be. In 20 years, I had to deal with deer, rabbits, and drought. I had my roses die down to the ground two years ago and some were 10 years old. They are slowly coming back. I had to take out a rose with Rose Rosette's Disease and had to take out all my hollyhock and mallow because of rust in the soil. Enough of my babbling! The answer to your question about the red flower, it is Sweet William "Crimson Velvet". I started it from seed ( I do about 20 flats of seed each year) and the catalog is Select Seeds. Also, you can ask me anything you want, you're not bothering me. Regina
    Delphinium " Pacific Giants"

• irene_dsc
    16 years ago

Oh, my...that is just gorgeous!!! I especially love the pergola - it really defines the garden!

• pansyface2006
    16 years ago

Oh and it keeps getting better as you show more pix. I am so jealous......You are doing a great job and it really shows. Thanks so much for sharing with us.
    Barb

• pagan
    16 years ago

awesome indeed! which magazine was it - I will be on the lookout!

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

I am in love with your pergola. I want one just like that but do not have a place for it, yet. Is that paint or stain? If it's stain, what shade is it?

Also, where in NY are you, maybe next year I can go on the tour! I love garden tours, and your place would be fabulous to visit, it is so gorgeous. THanks for the photos.

• jeanr_2007
    16 years ago

Awesome!!! How long have you been working on your garden to get it to look so good well planned out? Your color combinations are wonderful.

• reginaz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The magazine is one of the Better Homes and Gardens, but I'm not sure which one so I don't want to quote it. I'll find out and post it when it is ready to go on sale. As far as how long I've been working on my garden,we built our house 20 years ago and I have worked on it since then.
    There was nothing here. My children played soccer where the gardens are today
    {{gwi:724628}}

For Gottagarden, the arbors are all cedar, one left to age to a soft grey, 3 are painted a dark green, the pergola attached to the back of the house is a solid stain that has faded over the years and 2 including the long one are painted a sage green,the same as the house trim and this new one here my husband stained a brown color.
    {{gwi:724631}}
    I live in the Hudson Valley and you are welcome anytime but the spring is the best.

• jlsch
    16 years ago

Oh my! Your gardens are really amazing! I too love the arbors and with them dripping with all those lovely blossoms - creates a definite longing to be there viewing everything firsthand. It was intriguing to see your 'old' before photo to give us an even greater appreciation of all you have done there. I can only dream that my deliphineums would ever look so good! I can certainly understand why they would want to put it in a magazine. Will look forward to seeing it. Just curious, did this start with a master plan, or did it evolve in sections?

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Beautiful gardens. I am green with envy at the sight of your delphinium, something impossible to live and do well in our area. Although I grow them each season, they are annuals here.

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

Well the Hudson Valley is the other side of the state, so I will admire from afar. Still it's nice to see gardens where I know that the majority of the plants will also be hardy in my garden. Fantastic space you have.

• angelcub
    16 years ago

Hi Regina! It's good to see your pics once again. : ) Everything looks splendid and oh so cottagey!

Love your pergola! And the delphs are show stoppers. My delphs are blooming again right now. Our temps have been so mild they think it's fall already. : )

I'll be looking out for the magazine article. You sincerely deserve the honor!

Diana

• stage_rat
    16 years ago

Wow. I am just stunned. I can only hope that my garden will mirror yours someday. Or even that my delphiniums will look like that! What type of soil and sun are they in, and what do you use for fertilizer? I will be saving some of the photos for inspiration, if that's ok with you (saved using your name!)

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    16 years ago

Your gardens are inspirational. Truly magnificent.

• friesfan1
    16 years ago

Unfortunately not all of the photo's are showing up.
    Can you please tell me the name of the pink rose climbing
    over the pergola?

I hope that my garden looks even half this good someday!

mary
    z 5b KS

• memo3
    16 years ago

Oh darn, I missed some of your lovely pictures but I still vividly remember your garden from last year. I have white Pacific Giant Delphs this year and I can only hope that they will grow up and look as wonderful as yours in future years. this year they were laughable and soooo puny! Your gardens are really picturesque. Thanks for sharing them again.

MeMo

• chelsiechicky
    16 years ago

Wow!! Where did that thread go about "Garden Envy" because boy do I have it!! I can only hope that mine look as beautiful someday!!

Do you have a gallery someplace on here? I'd love to look at more :)
    Chelsie

• Nicki
    16 years ago

Regina, every time I check in on this forum and see your pictures, it reminds me that your garden is one of my favorites. I can't wait to see it in a magazine! How cool is that?!

• MollyDog
    16 years ago

Can you be my neighbor? Actually, I am very fortunate to have neighbors on both sides of my house who love to garden as well. BUT...there is always room for one more!

• reginaz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry it has taken me so long to answer your questions but I was visiting my sister in Vermont and when I got back home my computer wasn't working so I had to wait until my son could fix it. Thanks again all of you for saying such nice things and many of you have beautiful gardens also that I have admired over the years. Here are some answers to your questions:
    The soil That I have my delphiniums growing in is a very well drained sandy soil. I don't use fertilizer just compost in spring. I have observed over the years that when I plant them in other parts of my garden that have more clay soil, even if I improve it with compost, they don't do as well or live as long.
    The pink rose growing over the pergola is Minnehaha.
    Sorry about some pictures being moved or deleted, I did that.
    July 15 2007

{{gwi:638566}}

• mikenl
    16 years ago

What a wonderful and lovely garden! Chapeau!

Mike

• carol5
    16 years ago

You are the only person I could think of to help me with my predicament. I found the rose propagation forum & got excited & started a rose cutting about a month ago..in a sm plastic pot on my patio. Then I discover that this is the wrong time of yr. to do this in Michigan...low winter temps. Today a squirrel dug it up & lo & behold it has roots!! Good Grief, what should I do? I left msg on that forum but I noticed that lots of times the questions go unanswered. Please advise me.

• reginaz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Carol, I'm not sure that I am the right person to help you but I'll give it a try. I would pot up the rose and keep it well watered in the shade. Then about 2 or 3 weeks before a hard frost plant the pot with the rose in it in the ground. The rim of the pot can be at soil level or slightly above. You can mulch with pine needles or something that drains well. In winter the snow will be further protection. You can plant it either in the regular garden or in the vegetable garden or raised bed.
    I have been doing this for about 10 years with roses, tree seedlings, shrubs and perennials and have about an 85% success. In the spring, I take the pot out of the ground just keep it well watered and in shade. You can plant it any time or keep it in the pot for a few years more. All of the roses that I pot up are put in 1 or 2 gal. pots. I hope this has been of some help. Good luck.

• carol5
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for your help. Right now I have it in a small 4 inch pot...should I put it in the big 1 or 2 gal pot & then put the pot in the ground? Or do I bury the small pot now & put it in large pot in spring? Today it has a green shoot of new growth on it also.

Sponsored