SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

A pic for Nancy (or anyone that wants to see bean poles ;-)

Awhile back, on another thread, I mentioned I was making some bean poles in my veggie garden. Nancy (midnightsmum) asked to see pics when I got them. Well, I finally got them, lol. I posted some pictures of the garden over in the gallery but I don't think she saw them. Here is the pic again (taken in spring) and a link to the pictures in the gallery (not that you are obliged to look).

I have a wire fence around the little veggie garden (had to put it up one year because someone ripped out my zuchinni plants from the ground and took them). I dug three holes, each a foot deep, at each corner of the fence. Then I put in tree branches that were about 8ft. tall. I used maple branches, but I am sure anything would work. I did not use concrete, only packed the dirt (which is rather hard here anyway) back in the holes.

I bought some thick wire from HD, I forget the gague, but it was like 120ft. of wire on a reel for $6. I strung wire three times in between each pole, twisting them off at each end. I did it only a few times because I had the wire fence the beans could use to climb up halfway and then grab on to the wire. Otherwise I would have to string them across until I reached the bottom of the poles. Then I strung a few wires in-between those horizontal wires to create a sort of 'woven' look and to give more support for the beans. Since this pic was taken, I have tightened the wires so they are more taut.

It looks kind of rustic, but I am very happy with it. Now if only those beans would have grown! Lol.

{{gwi:628660}}

CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: my garden pics in the gallery

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting