SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rgvnewf

How early to move potted figs outside

rgvnewf
9 years ago

I have some 3 year old Hardy Chicago and some Brown Turkey that were started from cuttings in 2013. Where I live, the last frost date is listed as being in the first week of June. I keep the potted figs in an unheated in-house garage with the temperature set at 5c for the winter. This year they started to break dormancy in March (we still had 5 feet of snow on the ground!!!) so I moved them into the light, where they leafed out and started to put on new growth (temperature in that room was 16c). Our spring was very cold and wet (like most people had this year), so I did not get the figs moved outside until almost the end of June. When I moved them out first, all of them lost all of their leaves, as if going dormant again. Since that time they have begun to leaf out again. I am wondering what is the minimum night time low temperature that would be safe to move the plants outside, and is there a way to move them out without them losing their leaves. My trees have not produced any figs since I have acquired them and I losing hope of ever being able to sample a fresh fig right off the tree. What can I do?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County