SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlfromthegarden

Figs are failing

girlfromthegarden
17 years ago

Aaargh, I just cannot understand this about my potted figs - they start out in the spring with healthy vibrant leaves and good deep green color, then the heat rolls in and I honestly don't know if that's the problem or not, or lack of nutrients, but these potted figs are looking *horrid*. So many of them (which got their fresh new container mix this spring) are now having leaves going swiftly to yellow, there's been little to no new growth on many of them, even though a few have put figs out (oddly, mostly the ones that I didn't re-pot, or maybe that's a clue), and I'm afraid I'm going to lose them. The Hardy Chicago that's in-ground this year looks fine (though it's not grown very much), while only a little ways away from it, the row of potted figs sunk into the ground nearby are yellowing and looking awful. The older leaves yellow first, the green starts to vanish, and it happens almost overnight, this swift decolorization and the rattiness of the leaves. Is this lack of nitrogen? I've been trying to keep up with the watering and we've had enough rain that it's not been to where too many have gotten droopy leaves from drought, and many of them are in fairly protected areas where the pots themselves aren't getting too heated up.

I still wonder if the use of the pine bark is stealing nitrogen faster than I've been adding it with fertilizer - ?? Those that are in a higher percentage of a fairly good-quality potting mix are the least puny, relatively speaking, the ones in the higher proportions of pine bark are the worst. There's no doubt it's fast draining, I can pour water into those pots and watch it run right out the bottom, like I'm pouring through sand, just about. Is this the problem? I'll do what it takes to get these plants back to healthy, don't want to have them croak, and I'm so disappointed that they're not thriving, especially when I look at the pictures others have posted. I'm going out this morning to add some additional fertilizer (dissolved), and am thinking to refresh the Osmocote, but maybe it's a bigger problem than that. Any ideas? these plants should be thriving and they are limping along, I've yet to get to where I have a fig that looks truly optimal and doing what it should, most all of them look like they need nutrients badly. Yet I'd thought (maybe erroneously) that to overfertilize a fig was a recipe for promoting too much vegetative growth, etc., and have avoided giving much even though they're in containers. But the way they look tells me this isn't working, and the rapid yellowing is a bad sign (some of them are doing this in just the past 24-48 hours, where they'd been reasonably green before that). Input begged!

Sherry

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996