SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vvesper

mixed evergreen screen recommendations please!

vvesper
14 years ago

I have been trying to figure out for about a year now what evergreens to plant across my back property line to screen our view of the neighbor's house and act as backdrop for small deciduous ornamentals (dogwood, serviceberry, etc.). I realize that anything that provides a quick screen is going to get bigger than I really want in the next 40 years. I'd like a 20-foot screen in a few years to totally hide their house - but at the same time, I'd rather not have the trees get bigger than about 50 feet in my lifetime. (I'm 42.) We have a 0.80 acre lot and a reasonable amount of space, but I don't want to feel totally blocked in on that side, nor do I want to worry about 100-foot trees crashing down on the house I'm trying to screen.

I love the look of hemlocks, but they need higher elevation and partial shade to grow well here (not to mention protection from woolly adelgids). Young leyland cypress are lovely, but I'm not fond of the green corn dog look they eventually seem to get here, and they get too big too fast. Cryptomeria is a possibility, though eventual size is a concern. Same for white pine. Deodar cedar is also lovely. Magnolia is a possibliity, depending on cultivar. Maybe some type of holly, but I think most of them are quite slow growing.

I need about seven trees, if we're planning on 15-foot spacing, which I hope is a happy medium between quick screening and too crowded. What would you suggest? The site is sloped, red clay (former pasture land), full sun.

One thought might be to intersperse with leyland or arborvitae that I will take out when the trees get significantly bigger. Don't know. I know alot more about perennials and bulbs than trees! Advice, anyone? Please?

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor