SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
retiredprof

Advice Needed About Arborvitae--Keep or Remove?

retiredprof
13 years ago

Hi, everyone, hope I'm posting this question on the right forum. Could use any helpful advice.

I very recently (August) moved into a new house where the previous owner had planted 6 Emeralds along the fence line. They're spaced about 6 feet apart, and about 3 feet from the fence. They're about 5 feet tall. He may have put them in this spring or last fall in his attempt to add "landscaping" to sell the house.

I should probably mention here that these are NOT my favorite conifers by a long shot ;-) But...they are green and healthy.

My neighbor on the other side of the fence has a row of young Leyland Cypress that are now about 8 feet tall. When mature, these will effectively block most southern sun from my yard. He told me he put these in a few years ago--prior to the Emeralds being added in my yard. They are planted about 8 ft from the fence line on his side.

Seems to me that having two rows of conifers like this is redundant. I'd just as soon remove the arborvitae now, while they're still small, knowing that the LC is eventually going to overshadow it anyway and block sun. My thinking is to sell/freecycle these while they have a good chance of being transplanted successfully.

On the other hand, I'm sure I'll be waiting quite a few years for the LC to really "black out" the Emeralds with shade. Should I take a chance that they will adjust or, worse case, face removing them when they're 12 feet tall?

Comments (3)