SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peg919

Enjoyed my first Ripe Fig today.

peg919
16 years ago

Today I ate the first fig from one of the cuttings that Jack sent me last year. This baby broke dormancy in December. Since it had quite a few leaves when it turned cold again at the end of Feb. I had to bring it into a 60 degree room or loose it. It had already set one fig which I never expected to mature. I put the containers outside when the outside temp. reached 60, at least during the day. I had no more room inside. I never expected that this fig would be edible but it was quite large and tasted pretty good.

Six of Jacks remaining cuttings have set figs which is amazing since there has been an awful lot of rain and wind and only a few warm days. This morning was 39 degrees. This is in contrast with this years cuttings which are acting weird. I have six pots of sticks that have shed their leaves 3 times. They aren't dead and are now getting leaves again, slowly.

My nememis is CHIPMONKS! They eat my strawberries, my tomatoes. I'm sure they will love figs and there is not a darn thing I can do about it. They go underground and come up under netting and inside fences and nothing kills them. These critters make big holes too.

Hope we all get a lot of figs this year.

Peg

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor