SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bellamart

Possible to Plant a Fig Tree in Upstate (Rochester) NY?

bellamart
11 years ago

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me... My husband bought me a fig tree from Lowe's for Mommy's Day. It is the Chicago Hardy. The girl at the store says it should be fine if planted outside since the winter's are not as cold as they once used to be, but honestly I don't think many people that work there know in depth about anything. It does say on the card it can handle as cold as 10 degrees. Yes, this past winter was very mild, however I wouldn't hold my breath that we will never see temps. lower than 10 degrees again in any future winters!

My inlaws say their parents had fig trees here (with temps. ALOT colder and lots more snow than we've had in quite some time!). They said they always buried the tree for winter (whatever that means - they don't remember how they did it). I asked at a nursery near me and they said they don't recommend planting it, only keep it in a container, but I won't get many figs that way. Does anyone know if it will be safe if I do decide to plant it and how to go about winterizing it, cuz I really hate to bring it back! :-(

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths