SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bart1_gw

Transplanting pot to pot - root ball question & and when?

bart1
12 years ago

I have 3 potted fig trees from Edible Landscaping in 1 or 2 gallon pots. I plan to transplant them into much bigger pots with a different growing medium. The soil they are in now looks like typical potted plant soil - - dark and rich and sort of heavy. I want to lighten up my soil to allow for better drainage.

My question is what should I do about the existing roots/soil? I imagine when I remove them from the pot, they will be slighty rootbound and the soil ball will be a massive chunk of "soild" dirt. My concern is if I just plop this into a new pot with lighter soil, will there be a problem because of the different soil types?

Should I try to remove as much of the existing dirt as I can so nearly all the soil in the new pot is the same consistancy? Or will that do more harm than good?

Second question: Since the warm weather is about to hit, would it be better to keep them (undisturbed) in small pots this summer and then transplant them into larger ones in the fall when there is less chance of shock?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths