SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

Oh no, B&B root ball potted up, but tree's leaves all wilted!

katrina1
14 years ago

A few weeks ago, I took home from the nursery a B&B deciduous magnolia tree. potted it into a 20 gallon nursery pot and set it on the east side of the southeast corner of my house.

It gets dappled shade from a mature scarlet oak tree gowing on this magnolia' east side, and in the afternoon, it's pot gets full shade from the house that is immediately west of it. But the tree is tall enough for its canopy to receive adequate sun exposure during the day.

I replanted the trees B&B rootball into a pot which all around, is only 2 inches larger. The tree looked good for only a week later. That was, until all the tree's leaves suddenly wilted and over the next few days dried as if the tree's roots had begun to become suffocated.

Is there a chance this tree could leaf out again If I wait and make certain I let the potting soil dryout enough between watering it?

While being in this wilted leaf stage, the tree has also been having to endure triple digit high temps for the last four days, with that excessive heat event not forecast to break until tomorrow.

Are repotted deciduous magnolia trees more likly to die under such contiones, or is it worth my waiting to see if the tree will releaf?

The most alarming thing to me is that the tree is not pushing off it's leaves that all have become crispy. None of them turned yellow, so it certainly appears that the tree's rootball could not ajust to the moisture holding capacity of the potting soil I used, which was a mixture of compost, sand, peat, and shredded pine bark chips.

Is there anything I can do to save this tree, or is it too late now and my only option being to replace this tree with a new one that the nursery has already potted up in the a better draining type of potting soil mixture?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County