SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jonathan_gw

I don't understand all the fuss about FMV (Fig Mosiac Virus) !!!

jonathan
17 years ago

I really don't understand why everyone is so worked up about FMV. It isn't all that bad.

Trying that hard to prevent FMV is like having a child and trying to keep the child from catching the common cold virus from other humans. What are you going to do? Lock the child up in an sealed isolated chamber?

Getting the cold is a part of life when humans come into contact with other humans. You can't avoid it.

Same situation if you collect and exchange cuttings. When insects take a nibble off one of your infected cutting leaves, and then go nibble on another one of your fig trees. The virus is spread, just like that!

Hells, you could have a neighbor's tree that is half a block away infect your tree with FMV, because insects can travel.

So if you're worried about FMV forget about it!

Worry more about the RKN instead. It is a much bigger problem.

Because we humans have the cold virus in the system our entire lives, we have to take care of ourselves better so that we are not in a position where the virus activates itself when we are weak and unhealthy. If we get a cold easily, and frequently, it can let us know that we have not been taking care of ourselve well enough. We can solve this by excerising more, eating healthier, and sleeping at more regular times. Same with figs and FMV. You can mulch the ground heavily to keep the ground moist, and make sure the tree gets its balance of minerals. I like to use manure compost as fertilizer, bone meal for calcium, and lots of banana peels for vitamins and micro minerals.

Comment (1)