SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

Some Suggestions for Fig Varieties Good for my Area?

bonechickchris
15 years ago

Hello!~

My name is Christy. I have been a GW member for a few years. I am a regular on other forums here, but have always had an interest in this forum since I LOVE figs and have a couple trees of my own. SO I thought I would finally introduce myself here, in hopes to learn more about figs and to get to know the forum better!

I am Italian, and my grandma had a fig tree when I was a little girl. Eating figs from my grandma's tree started the beginning of my love for figs.

I have a couple trees of my own. I have always wanted to plant more, but space was restricted. I have moved to a nicer property, so now I have the room to put fig trees all over! LOL!

I live in Forked River, which is in Ocean County , New Jersey. Most of NJ is zone 6, However,since I am located somewhat near the shore, I have also been considered zone 7A. The figs I have now I cover, but my neighbor has a nice fig tree and she does not do anything to it at all for the winter.

I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for fig varieties that would be hardy for my area. I don't mind needing to protect in the winter, but it would be great to have some trees that I did not need to protect once they got old enough. WOuld be great if I could find some varities that could stay in containers over the winter too.

Also, if anyone could reccomend where I could find trees and/or cuttings, that would be great too! I am NOT doing this to get freebies, I am fully prepared to purchase what ever I need to, so please know that.

I have been looking through Encanto in California. The only problem is is that it costs almost as much in shipping as it does for the tree! So I was hoping that there may be someone in my area that I could purchase from. Also, by purchasing close to me, I would know that they would be varieties that work well for my area.

SO if anyone could help with suggesting varieties, that would be great! And if anyone knows where I could purchase them, that would be even better!

I really have been waiting such a long time to start a fig collection, and now I finally can! I can't wait to start and to share my progress with all of you!

Christy

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting