SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmie9999

Okay, I have projects chosen for the blank canvas!

emmie9999
16 years ago

Hi everyone!

I am still going over things and trying to figure out what the heck to do with this lovely blank space of mine! I did finally decide on a few things.

For one thing, we are going to turn the one huge veggie bed into a series of smaller raised beds. I think I might be heading to the Potager forum for help there! It will look a lot more attractive if it's all framed with wood and leveled off. We are trying to find room for corn and potatoes, as well as tomatoes and the like.

I have also found two other areas I want to work on for flowers and such. I posted pictures here in the gallery, with a brief description of what I would like to do in each area. Here is more information on what I want to do in each.

In project One, I want to build a lasagna bed in order to plant a garden full of old fashioned roses, and add in perennials and annuals which will add to the look. The bed will be about 18 to 20 feet long, and about 5 feet deep. Maybe 6, if I can distract my DH and move the chalk line ::grin::. I have a number of roses picked out for this area, including Souvenier de St Anne, Great Maiden's Blush, Yolande d Aragon, Madame Hardy, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, and a few others like them. (I didn't post pictures ofthem, bu t if that would be appreciated, I can gather them up and put them on Photobucket or in the gallery.) I've been drooling over Renee's Seeds since I discovered them, and I would love to fill in spaces with things like stock, heliotrope, Bells of Ireland and such. My biggest questions: This area gets sun from 8 AM until 2 or 3 PM - is that enough to be considered full sun? What kind of perennials might I look at to complement this look the best? Also, see that big stockade fence behind the post and rail? My neighbor is going to move it back towards him by about two feet this fall. Does anyone think I could then plant between the two fences, and put tall things like hollyhocks back there?

In project 2, I have the area under my kitchen window. The window will shortly get about 2 feet wider, YAY! We have no idea of what the soil is really like there, we have to get it tested. But, since there used to be lead paint on the roofline, and this area runs into the dripline for the roof, I don't want to plant edibles there. I would love to put in hydrangeas and peonies someplace, could this be a good place? Or perhaps I should go towards something more fragrant, since it will be right under a window? I'd really like to hide the foundation, since it just looks stark and icky.

As always, any advice or thoughts are appreciated! Please let me know if I need to give more details or anything, since I may have left out something. I appreciate the support, and the ideas and information you all post have really got my creative juices flowing!

Thanks very much,

Emmie

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to projects in gallery

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County