SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Ronde de Bordeaux Cuttings all Leafing Out

I wanted to post a big thank you to Martin over here on the Fig Forum. I normally hang out over on the California, Citrus and Fruits & Orchards Forum, but I wanted to stop by here so I could post a thank you. I had tried to bid on some of Martin's Ronde de Bordeaux scionwood Ebay auctions a while back, and kept being outbid. Three times, it was so frustrating. I finally got the nerve up to send Martin a message asking if he was going to be posting another Ronde auction, and he sent me a message back telling me was actually able to send me a sort of "runner's up" auction, and I was able to finally get some Ronde scionwood (and Martin, THANK YOU for the extra 2 pieces, that was very kind of you.)

I wanted to let Martin know they are all budding and leafing out for me, and I am very excited to finally be able to add this very special fig to my small fig collection! Here's a photo of my 6 cuttings enjoying the fine S. Calif. sunshine after a significant rainstorm we had last night as well as Wednesday:

I live in "fig growing" country here in S. California. Figs grow like weeds out here with very little extra attention, so I'm hoping that all of the cuttings will make it to "adulthood". Can't see any reason why they wouldn't, as long as I protect them from the dreaded gophers. I may keep them in large pots for a year or two, until I know they have enough of a root system to withstand a gopher attack, and of course will be planted in large chicken wire baskets.

Thanks, Martin, I'm very excited. I'm new to growing (and eating) figs, but after having my first fig two years ago when we bought our home that had a very mature Panache, as well as a Flanders and a Brown Turkey, I was hooked. I just love the Panache, and look forward to the Ronde de Bordeaux, as well as a new Peter's Honey and a Violette de Bordeaux that I just planted this spring in very large patio pots. Here's a photo of those two, and they're also starting to leaf out. They should do very well, especially since my Green Man is keeping an eye on them (see if you can spy my Green Man in the photo):

Patty S.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH