SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flowerlady6

June Gardens

FlowerLady6
15 years ago

Ok fellow gardeners ~ I went out this morning around 7:30, weedwacked and mowed. Then I decided to take pictures around here of my gardens. They are weedy, unruly, mostly green right now. When we moved in here in 1973, there was just the house and a circular drive. We had imminent domain come through and take a depth of 15 extra feet off the front of our property. We got permits and built a workshop, a barn, a storage building and we also have permits for our two Ted's sheds. The gardens have evolved since around 1980 when I started the main garden. They are a continual work in progress.

After taking the pictures I then made an album and uploaded it.

I did not show our junk areas, too embarassing. Maybe one day when we have every thing straightened up then I will. Maybe. The hoses by the metal steps up front I just threw there out of the walkway this morning. You can see a shell in the main garden around the center piece upended no doubt by a coon. There's a white rusty orange stained chair sitting in the back corner of main garden that doesn't look so hot either, but I do occasionally sit in it. That area I'm still working in also.

Oh yea, I know, I know the lites have to come down off the screened porch, I just didn't get to it yet. : -)

The yellow railing on the back shed stoop needs painting also. We had found the railing and DH cut it in half so that we would have one for each side of stoop.

The clothesline area is on the back side of my shed. There is a lattice grotto also.

The birdbath with lady was a satellite dish that we no longer were using. The base was in cement so we decided to make a bath with it. The shells we collected at the beach of course. The bath is in our secret garden behind our cottage.

A friend who has an antique shop with her husband, gave me the French faux bois chairs because they needed so much repair. They are made of concrete and reinforced with steel. The make nice little places to take a break.

The metal steps we found and put them so that we could look over our front hedge onto the 5 lane highway out front. They make a nice little perch to take pictures from also.

Now I think I'll take a nap.

Thanks for looking ~ FlowerLady

June Gardens.

Comments (24)

• kailleanm
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just gorgeous! Very, very inspirational. Thanks for sharing your lovely photos.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I have one question for you; where on earth do you mow? I just saw lush growth of plants and wonderful paths.

I love it all, the architectural bits, different gates, chairs, etc. What a cozy place you have. I bet it keeps you busy trying to keep all that lushness in control.

Thanks for the tour.

• Related Discussions

June Garden Tour

Q

Comments (11)
    I saw your post on Cottage gardens too...not sure if I commented, but I wanted to say what a lovely job you've done making the landscaping feel like part of the area without seeming weedy. I love the colour scheme and the mix of flowers....pink in the garden seems so fresh :)
    ...See More

June Garden Pictures (Lots of Pics)

Q

Comments (16)
    Thank you for all the kind comments. They have been a wonderful way to start my day. It's a raining dreary day here and am cuddling our three year old daughter Gracie. Who is very sick with a cold. Her little nose is so stuffed up that her eyes are running. She is a pitiful sight this morning. I read her each of your sweet comments. She just keep saying "aw,so nice", "aw, sweet" and finally exclaimed " I love pink! It's my favorite" I love sharing the garden with the children. Grace is always going with a fist full of flowers. And tells me several times a day that she loves my pretty flowers. Cindy- yes I do keep candles in the lanterns. Although I haven't lite them yet this year. I have been looking forward to lighting them all and sitting out on a warm evening. But for one reason or another I just haven't gotten to it yet. I found the large 18" lanterns early this spring at a local thrift store for $7!!! Every time some mention them I can't resist tell them what I paid for them. I love a bargain!!! Carrie
    ...See More

more June Garden photos, keep the under 100 weather coming, June!

Q

Comments (8)
    I love big flowers, so I really like that first pink seedling, & I like the veining of the other seedling too. Each year I say I'm gonna be better about selecting just which plants to cross & go more for bud count. But then I go crazy & can't stop myself, I think this combo would be wild, but hey, could be nice. And I cross old ones that I like (& a Iike a lot of them!) & new ones. I end up with tons of seeds, plant them all, & keep a huge bunch of them. At least for now. Good thing I've got lots of space!
    ...See More

June Garden Views

Q

Comments (12)
    Thank you, everyone, for your compliments. I have to admit I'm never sure which combination I most prefer: iris and roses or lilies and roses. Fortunately, they bloom at different seasons, so I don't have to make a choice. There should be lots more lily pics coming up in the next weeks. Of course, my favorite combination is the roses and blue larkspur. I let them re-seed themselves to their heart's content! Kate
    ...See More
  • kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

Beautiful,i love all the places where you can stop and sit for a spell.Good Job!!
    Kathi

• FlowerLady6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gldno ~ I mow a little lawn out by the sidewalk/driveway, all along the driveway and a little bit in the back where we park.

It does keep me busy, especially after all the rain we've been having lately. There are vines, etc. that need trimming, weeds need pulling. It's just so miserably hot and humid that I can't do much except in the mornings. This is just the beginning of the summer too. UGH!

Kathi ~ Thank you. It is nice having different places to sit. You never know when you'll need to rest for even a minute.

Thanks for looking and glad you enjoyed the tour.

FlowerLady

• Bamateacha
    15 years ago

Wow! I could spend days just exploring every nook and cranny of your wonderful gardens! Thank you for sharing your photographs. It's wonderful to see what can be attained in 25 or so years.

• User
    15 years ago

What an amazing array of plants and places in your garden. I love all of it but especially the fountain . It is all just so charming. c

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Your garden is amazing. I love all the little nooks and crannies and all the garden art.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

I like that everything is so lush and green. It rained in town today while I was there, but not a drop out here.

Lots of fun places to sit and dream and plan; lots of already completed areas, what a garden! Thanks for the tour.

Nell

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Rainey, I loved the garden tour, you have so many charming areas, a garden to wander about, sit and dream in. You really have created a little paradise, I can feel the tranquilly you must feel when in your garden.
    Annette

• DYH
    15 years ago

All those LUSH, GREEN, GORGEOUS, COOL looking secret gardens are just wonderfully inviting!

I don't know why you made all those disclaimers...your garden looks great.

Cameron

• gottagarden
    15 years ago

It's all so lush and tropical and verdant. I love all the wrought iron, but am seriously coveting that giant concrete frog, where ever did you get that? I must have one!

Thanks for posting, you have an intriguing place with lots to look at.

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

You have a lot more land than I realized, Flower. I love the various garden rooms. That is my ultimate hope for my yard. I'm glad you pointed out that it takes a lot of years of planning and work!

Lorna

• contrary_grow
    15 years ago

I don't know how I missed this until now. I love the feeling of privacy and seclusion you've created. If I had a garden like yours, I would never want to leave home.

Mary

• FlowerLady6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good morning everyone and thank you for your kind, encouraging comments about my tropical/cottage gardens.

They are a continuing work in progress. I sometimes feel 'green' with the envy monster from looking at all the beautiful, colorful, flower filled gardens that you have and forget to really look at the beauty that my own gardens have. In all the lushness that you all have mentioned are tucked in orchids, bromeliads, roses, begonias, sedums, herbs, salvias, all kinds of flowering shrubs, aloe, and more. Those are the pictures I usually post. I wanted to show the overall picture so you could get a handle on our little haven from the crazy world that we live in. It is always a joy to pull into our driveway and be back home.

kaileanm ~ Thank you. The gardens are inspirational to me too.

bamateacha ~ Thanks ~ There are lots of nooks and crannies that's for sure. It is a treat to go out in the mornings to see what's going on. I could spend days weeding and trimming. Down here we do not get a break from gardening, it's a 365 day a year hobby.

Caroline ~ Thank you ~ Charming is what I hope to create since we live in a 50's cottage.

Michelle ~ Thanks ~ We've been collectors of garden art for years. Some we've bought and others we've found.

Nell ~ Thank you ~ Hope you get some rain up there. It looks like we could get more today. None yesterday except for a few sprinkles. I've got to hand water a few things in pots this morning. Some completed areas, some need work and that's part of the joy of gardening.

Annette ~ Thank you ~ When I just wander and sit with no set goals, I do feel the tranquility and am thankful. I just soak it up. Sometimes we just see all that needs to be done, or think about all the projects we'd like to see done, and forget to just sit back and BE. Relax and let the gardens surround us with their healing, energy flowing vibes.

Cameron ~ Thank you. The disclaimers are because of all the beautiful, color filled gardens with space and vistas that some of you all have. I have rooms and hallways.

GG ~ Thanks ~ It looks the way it does right now because of all the rain that we've been getting lately. What you don't see with the concrete frog, is one leg is broken, so that there's concrete missing and his foot is attached by the iron reinforcements. We are pretty sure we found him dumped as we've found lots of stuff! One day, I'll have to go around and take pictures of all of our found goodies, they are quite a few. Most other stuff was bought at yard sales, flea markets, thrift stores and once in awhile from an antique shop. Found is the best.

Lorna ~ Thank you ~ We have 1/4 of an acre. It is an L shaped piece of property. We did have 1/3 of an acre until the county came through to widen the two lane road out front making it 5 lanes with traffic roaring past. It has taken many years to get it to look like it does today that's for sure.

Mary ~ Thank you. We wanted the privacy and seclusion since we moved in here. We did have a nice woodsy front until the county came through with their road widening project. The woods came down and I had to start over, it was kind of depressing. When you drive down the street you can quickly pass us by if you don't know where we are. We've had people come here recently, strangers, that have said it's really cool and secret. Exactly the way we want it. It is hard to leave home and is only done when necessary. I love pulling into the driveway from the autobahn out front. It's tranquil, cooler, filled with oxygen, color and scents. Home sweet home, humble though it is. Our haven.

It was a treat sharing a bit of our tropical/cottage garden life with you. You have all inspired me to keep on with what I've been doing and I appreciate that. Your words did my heart good.

FlowerLady

• Annie
    15 years ago

FlowerLady,

I love it! I love it! I love it!
    Green is my favourite color!
    Love the lush tropical and your garden art.
    All I can say is what has already been said, but I whole heartedly agree.

Lovely home and gardens. (and I love the lights on your screened-in porch...looks like home. I like them on hot summer nights...to just turn on the tiny star-like lights and sit out and enjoy the night air.)

~ Annie

• mary_lu_gw
    15 years ago

flowerlady, thank you for posting the beautiful shots of your garden. It is so serene feeling. Hard to imagine a 5 lane road just the other side of your fence! I can see that you must feel a great relief on reaching your "haven" when returning from the outside world of hustle and bustle.

Achieving what you have would be impossible for us, as we live on a corner, double lot. I envy your seclusion. I really enjoyed seeing the "big" picture of your gardens, and know that it has been a labor of love. Definitely nothing to disclaim!
    Marylu

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

A popular magazine has in its archives a Florida garden where the plantings reach all the way to the street, and I always think of your place. One line particularly reminded me:
    "She refers to her screened porch as a rain room--a place to sit and enjoy the soul-soothing sounds of a tropical shower."

Remember when you showed the pics of the white Datura opening, several weeks back? Two similar blossoms opened in a little bed off my carport last night, such glorious fragrance.

I didn't make photos, so I'll just link to yours, LOL.

Nell

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower Lady's White Datura

• jakkom
    15 years ago

I love your garden! Thank you for showing us a vision of such peace and tranquility - it is truly what gardening is all about!

I so hear you about the 365/days thing - never a break from weeding, cleanup and pruning! But it's all worth it, isn't it?

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    15 years ago

Not only did I love all the plants you have, the various textures and colors of the leaves but the other elements were so wonderfully integrated with the whole design. I especially loved the tree trunck chair and the wrought iron gate.

Thanks for the tour.

• FlowerLady6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

SweetAnnie ~ Thank you. Glad you like our lush tropical look. We just got more rain last night and that will make things grow more into a jungle. ~ I enjoy the lights also, but some of them don't work now, so I haven't been using them. We found them curb side shopping a year or two ago. They were nice while they lasted. : -)

Marylu ~ We do enjoy our seclusion from the world 'outside'. The traffic can be horrible at certain times of the day. It was much nicer when this was a little two lane road, with cow pastures around, but not anymore. Scenes like that are fast disappearing with all the land-grabbing developers buying up property left and right. We do have double paned windows and that makes a difference. I think I will not make 'disclaimers' anymore. Thanks to everyone's kind words and encouragement.

Nell ~ It is nice sitting in our screened porch in the evenings when it's cooler. It keeps the 'skeeters' away. Wow, I'd like some of this other FL gardener's "soul-soothing sounds of tropical showers". It seems like most our rain is with thunderstorms. ~ The datura sure does have a wonderful sweet scent. I've got seed pods exploding all over as I forget to pick them and dry them in paper bags.

jkom ~ Thank you, I always enjoy seeing your color packed gardens. Do you have any pictures of your back gardens now? Gardening 365 days a year can get 'old', especially the 'older' one gets. :-)

a2zmom ~ Thanks ~ Things grow, we acquire the artistic elements along the way and then just plop them where we think they look good. Of course, sometimes we have to move them around, but hopefully not too many times.

Ok ~ This morning I hope to get out before it gets too hot and do some more work. It's a bit cooler since we had a nice rain from a passing T-storm last night.

Thanks again everyone for your encouraging words.

FlowerLady

• lavendrfem
    15 years ago

Love your gardens! Wow, so lush...that's what I'm after - but I got a very lloooooongg way to go before it looks that good. Thanks for sharing! Estelle

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

FlowerLady - so gorgeous!! I love the lushness that Florida gardens get. I have a friend in central Florida with a lovely garden, also with found items. I am envious, but then come October, I am happy for a break - lol.

Nancy.

• fammsimm
    15 years ago

Beautiful, Flower Lady!

The first word that came to mind was intimate. Your garden is very intimate and romantic. You've added so many beautiful touchs such as the seating, and, of course, your plants/flowers are just gorgeous.

You really have created a lush paradise!

Marilyn

• FlowerLady6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone ~ hot and humid here. Even going out early it is miserable now.

Estelle ~ Thank you. Just keep working a little bit at a time and before you know it you will have an overgrown paradise. We've had so much rain lately it is hard to keep up with everything.

Nancy ~ Thanks. Yes, FL has lush gardens especially after a lot of rain. I would look forward to a break come October along with chilly weather, but that doesn't happen here. Bummer! Things just keep on growing 365 days a year, and if we're lucky we'll have 5 days of chilly weather. We always wish for more. : -)

Marilyn ~ Thank you. Intimate and romantic are nice words that make me feel I must be on the right track. Still lots of work and projects to do. For all gardeners, our work is ongoing, our gardens every growing and changing.

Thanks again everyone for visiting and your kind and encouraging words.

FlowerLady

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting