SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wanna_run_faster

HAVE: What do you have way too much of?

wanna_run_faster
16 years ago

OK, along the lines of the other thread...what do you have way too much of and will gladly give away (locally of course!)???

I've got sunflower tree (tithonia), NO id plummie cuttings, frosty pink cuttings, canna's, walking yellow iris, coleus cuttings.

Comments (21)

• trini1trini
    16 years ago

I have lots of weeds that I can share................just kidding.

I have
    Cuttings of red or purple firespike.
    Agave americana
    spiral costus
    seeds for maroon crinums
    Cuttings of sanchezia
    Life saver cactus
    T-

• wanna_run_faster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Me too Trini (as far as the weeds!)

• barbcoleus
    16 years ago

Bromeliads-neos specifically, Costus spicata, tall orange cannas and of course....weeds.

• scottrell
    16 years ago

Hi I am new to GW and fairly new to Florida. I would love to share coreopsis, heliconia psittacorum, persian shield, gardenias, cuttings from night blooming jasmine, passion flower vines, mexican flame vine. small guava. and more, Can I play with you guys?

• wanna_run_faster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Scottrell! Welcome to GW and Florida! You will find out why every other forum envies the Florida GW'ers...seriously everyone is soooo wonderful! I've been saying (forever) that I'm going to host a swap and maybe by the spring I will actually do it and we'll all get together again LOL. Please post on the Wish list, too...who knows maybe one of us can fill it!

If anyone is interested in anything on my way too much list just lay claim, it's yours!

• scottrell
    16 years ago

Hi Thanks for the welcome! I would love some frosty pinks and lifesavers. I would love to be a part of a real live swap! I have never done anything like that before, it sounds like so much fun!

• naplesgardener
    16 years ago

You may think I'm joking but I paid good money for these weeds when I couldn't find them to dig up locally.

I have green shrimp plant (blechum browneii I think) that is a host plant for the green (!)Malachite butterfly. No I haven't attracted any yet and they are supposed to be a Zone 10 only bf.
    I am going to be moving in a few months and once I do the plants will be mowed down or killed by the landscape crew here. I bought them from Shady Oaks in no. Florida so the plants grow all over Florida (it's just this one butterfly that doesn't).
    I don't expect to get many people interested but let me know. I'm in Naples.

• natives_and_veggies
    16 years ago

I finally found y'all! A friend and I are working toward biologically identical yards, sharing just about everything we can reproduce. But I'd love to spread out a little.

I don't have any true natives to offer right now, though I'd love any that anyone has to offer that will be happy in Miami. I'm trying not to plant things that need fertilizer beyond compost or regular water. Along those lines I have unusual crotons that I never see at Home Depot. All are green and yellow, no reds or oranges. One has long thin leaves that fall over in a weeping willow way. One is probably a gold dust. And one has kind of mitten-shaped leaves with yellow dots. These all root easily and I just can't resist so, I now have more than I need. The ones I rooted last year and set out in the yard and promptly ignored are all about 3 feet high now.

I also have baby red Pride of Barbados plants, also sometimes called dwarf poinciana.

And I have a baby jasmine that I also couldn't resist, digging up and potting. But I don't need it.
    I'm trying air layering now, so I may have some chenille plants and some random other plants soon.

Susannah

• natives_and_veggies
    16 years ago

Oh, and Trini, I'd love the maroon crinum seeds or a spiral costus or the purple firespike, any or all if you still have them.

• trini1trini
    16 years ago

natives and veggies send me an email with your addy and I will be glad to share. T

• wanna_run_faster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Trini, is the maroon crinum seeds the thing you shared with me at JoanMary's? It was a large bulb like thing that you showed me to seperate and plant? I planted them, one came up immediately and the other two came up long past the time I thought they were dead lol. The leaves are long and straplike and definitely have a greenish-maroon coloring.

Natives, where in zone 10 are you? I have some spiral costus aka crepe costus (white with a little pink). It looks ratty after the cold snap. It's definitely one of the things I noticed are cold sensensitve even here in 10.

• wanna_run_faster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I also a nice clump of african iris I just pulled out. The one with the white flowers. And A small clump of Golden Lotus banana's (aka chinese yellow) that has to go one of these days.

Barb, do you neo's have any color? I have recently developed an addiction...

• trini1trini
    16 years ago

Hi WRF, that sound like it. They get more maroon as they get older and get more sun.

• wanna_run_faster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Trini! I put it in the ground a few weeks back and it looks very happy. How big does it get? Is it the maroon crinum that gets the pink flower (if it is I think I'm in heaven cause I have been lusting after that one forever!)

More things that have to go...rain lilies (mixed) and small half dead coreposis

• barbcoleus
    16 years ago

My neos are spectabilis--I think they are also called finger nail polish and there's a variety with spots

• trini1trini
    16 years ago

Wanna, that is the one. It is one of my faves.
    T-

• natives_and_veggies
    16 years ago

Wanna-run,

I'm in Miami, near the bay, so cold sensitive is the least of my worries. I've often wonderered if I'm actually in zone 11 because lots of zone 10 plants simply won't survive the summer here. I realized I also have a costus and it looks ratty too, but that's not from cold. I think it must need either more water, or a different soil.

And if you haven't gotten rid of the rain lillies yet, I'd love some. My grandmother used to grow them and it's one of the only things she grew, up in the panhandle, that I can grow here, so I"m a little sentimental about them. I found one growing in a path, between the stones, when we moved in and I was so thrilled when it bloomed.

Susannah

• sillybugs
    16 years ago

I have way too many cassia alata seeds.

• ladybarber101
    16 years ago

Trini
    Do you have any purple firespike you would be wiling to share? I have to clumps of red that got hi tpretty hard and we cut them back but I have been watching the pruple ones at the zoo and they are beautiful.. I would love to add a few to my landscape!
    Happy Gardening
    Donna

• jooneee_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

I'm new to this - but would love to share what I have. I have tons of periwinkles, Christmas cactus, philadenron, wandering jew, some wierd little bromiliad that has little red flowers and blooms most of the time (great ground cover). That's a start. I have lots of other stuff but don't know the names yet.
    I'd would greatly appreciate help with ID ing.
    If someone can shate a lifesaver cactus - I would be very happy. Please let me know how we actually execute these swaps. Thanks,
    Esther

• nytrinigemini
    16 years ago

I have tons of purple showers and porterweed popping up all over the place.

Trini1 I would love to try one of those maroon criniums. Do they smell nice?

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor