SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda1270

Need Help w/Planting a Row of Aborvitaes

LindaMA
12 years ago

I purchased this house 4 years ago and the back yard had a row of 15 Arborvitaes that were absolutely gorgeous, though a bit too high, maybe 12 feet, not sure though. Anyway, mine and surrounding cities in Western Massachusetts were hit with a severe ice storm two years ago, which knocked down 3 trees on my property, one falling directly on top of the Arborvitaes. We had them cut down a few feet but they never did come back and looked terrible.

Last week we had them cut all the way down and today we had them grinded out. The guy who grinded them offered to dig some holes for some new ones, directly in front of the older ones. He advised me to purchase small Aborvitaes (about 2 feet) and use fertilizer sticks made for pines to help them grow a lot faster.

My soil isn't the best, we have a high water table in the area where the shrubs were and also a lot of rocks. I am looking for some help/opinions on whether or not this advice is good. I wanted to purchase larger shrubs but right now our finances are low. I would like to plant either 8 or 10. Where the previous shrubs grew so well, I don't see why replacements wouldn't grow as nicely; however, there are a lot of roots for them to contend with. The previous Arborvitaes had been growing for at least 20 years, maybe more. I really can't see anything else going in the holes that he dug for me. Further down along this fence line, I have a Pinky Winky Hydrangea, a Jim Dandy Winterberry, a Viburnum trilobum 'red wing' and a Blue Muffin Viburnum. They are all growing very well, but I have been amending this area for 3-4 years now and there are no roots to contend with there.

Any advice or guidance, is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Linda

Comments (9)