SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningwithlcgrace

Hollyhock question - please help id?

Lcgrace Mahoney
16 years ago

I would have loved to post this in the "annual, biennial, or perennial" forums but I don't know what I have.

I rec'd 2 packets of "hollyhock seeds" in different trades. One packet has seedlings with the single stem and rounded scalloped leaves, just as those that I'm seeing in pics online. The other packet has seedlings that look more like a small bush growing. These weren't listed as miniature hollyhocks but they more resemble pics of them.

Is there any way of knowing if I may have annual, biennial or perennial hollyhocks from my description? They are still only about 3 inches tall and were winter sown. I'm still trying to get everything planted. Do you think that I should cut them back at the very end of the season, after a hard frost or leave them standing and see what happens? I'm going to collect seeds and start more next year if they do well for me. (zone 5 & full afternoon sun) I guess if I don't have any next year, they were annuals.

Thanks for any help you can offer! Sorry my post is so long. I am hoping that I've given enough info for at least a guess. LC Grace.

Comments (3)

Sponsored