SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skindoc_gw

how do I prune my 2 year old fig sapling.

skindoc
16 years ago

I just purchased a bare rooted fig sapling and planted it into a larger pot, as it has to be brought in for the winter. The roots were given a light pruning, but I didn't prune the trunk. The sapling consists of a single vertical branch about 3 feet tall with no side branches. The apical bud is opening with tiny leaves visible now. There are about 4 breba figs at the top of it also. I would like to achieve an opening branching form for the tree. I would like to know WHEN AND HOW TO PRUNE it. Do I just cut it back to the ground this winter? Do I leave it as is? Do I leave a trunk of a few inches? When you say winter pruning is that in November after the leaves have dropped or February when it's coldest? I intend to transplant it into a larger pot next spring. I'm assuming it's best to do this when it's still dormant in March, please correct me if I am wrong. I'm so excited about this little tree and don't want to screw it up, or end up with a 10 foot bean pole either! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!