SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginnyjj9b

I'm afraid to prune my 3 year old Apricot tree!

ginjj
16 years ago

I've taken classes, read on the web and I find I am still fearful to prune my apricot tree. I've had it done by "professionals" in the past but this time it's on my shoulders. I know they grow rapidly the first 5 years and mine is no exception. It's probably 10-12 feet now. I am following the new concept of "High Density Planting" - planting trees 3-4 feet apart and keeping them small with spring and summer pruning. What I see today is way too much foliage. Looking at branches that were cut a few months ago I see 2-4 new branches growing from those cuts. Each of those is full of leaves!! Do I cut each of those back by half? Do I completely remove some smaller branches? I believe it should be trained with open center. It is not currenly open in the center! I'm also concerned because there are 5 main scaffolds, 3 large 2 small. One of the large ones has a branch coming off it right down at the base, which I don't think is good. Here's a picture for you. {{gwi:100466}}

Any advice and encouragement would be much appreciated!! This is my second picture I successfully posted on GW. I have been wanting to learn how to post pictures and now I'm on my way!! Got good instructions off another forum; let me know if anyone wants that link.

Ginny

Comments (4)