SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fignut

Other Weeping Ficus caricas?

fignut
17 years ago

George has mentioned a prostrate weeping fig tree. Is anyone aware of other weeping common figs?

A friend has a weeping tree that (unlike George's) is tall. My friend was given this tree by a neighbor who moved, and doesn't know where the tree was purchased. The trunk is very vertical and the branches coming off it "weep" down, and then turn back up.

I did a search on the FF and found a thread, "First Paradise Now Belleclare Sad" from Aug. 9, 2006 that had a picture from Belleclare:

http://www.geocities.com/belleclarenursery/destination2/pages/weepingfig_jpg.htm

This picture is pretty fuzzy, but if you look closely, you can see how straight the trunk is, and how the branches weep and then grow back up. Just from the habit (I haven't seen the leaves or fruit), this looks a great deal like my friend's tree.

Petem in the thread, said he thought the Belleclare fig was a Lattarula. So either this isn't the same tree (other weepers out there?) or petem was mistaken. My friend's tree has two crops of big, black figs - definitely not a Lattarula.

I went through the Belleclare variety list and there is no mention of weeping habit. They do mention Blackjack, #9, as dwarf and spreading. So you'd think something this unusual would be mentioned if the tree were listed.

Does anyone have any information that might identify this gem?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner