SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
contrary_grow

Drought tolerant plants

contrary_grow
15 years ago

Since it sounds like a lot of us are headed into a dry spell, I'd love to know what cottage garden plants you have that are drought tolerant.

Thanks,

Mary

Comments (19)

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

The term draught tolerant is supposed to refer to plants which require less water than most. There are other factors which can come into play. Sun intensity, wind, poor soil are some of the other factors which need to be considered. For instance, harsh winds will cause so-called draught tolerant plants to need extra water.

Mulching well is probably the best thing you can do to enable your plants to deal with less water. The spacing of plants affects a garden's need for water. The more closely plants are spaced, the more they shade each other.

I planted red hot poker because it is supposed to be draught tolerant. It is actually a water hog. Liatris is supposed to be draught tolerant. Mine needed a lot of water, and did not do well here--eventually died out.

Salvias usually require less water, sunflowers, scabiosa (pin cushion flower), wild flowers native to your area, artemesia, daisies, privet, agastache, ceanothus, hollyhocks, yarrow, bachelor's buttons (corn flowers), globe mallow, yuccas and cactus. Roses require a lot of water.

Lorna

• treelover
    15 years ago

Also... cone flowers, plumbago, lavender, rosemary, copper canyon daisy, Texas aster. Lavender & rosemary require almost perfect drainage, and most of them will need regular water until they're established. I think daylilies do pretty well, too.

I'm really tired of these histrionic plants that I find flattened to the ground, gasping for water, at the end of every single day, no matter how much I've watered them the day before. Like ox-eye daisy, African daisy, gerbera daisy (though I do have one huge old one in the shade that can get through 2 days before collapsing). Hmmm, 3 daisies...do I see a pattern?

It's so hard not to buy pretty water-loving plants in the spring, before the heat and drought set in. Next year I will do better!

• Related Discussions

Time for MN residents to start planting drought-tolerant plants?

Q

Comments (4)
    Despite conventional wisdom, I have success with hostas, trollius, bleeding heart, Northern Lights azaleas, white baneberry, ostrich ferns under old spruce. On the outer edges, I have some extra Stella d'Oros I couldn't see composting, Asitic lilies, nepeta, feverfew, and sedums. And there's a spring under story of squill, puschkinia, and muscari. Probably a couple of things I'm forgetting. It's an area that gets only rain, no supplemental watering. And it's been there for a long time and so far so good. My gardens all seem to be fairly drought tolerant; I have only had to water annuals and some newly installed shrubs and conifers. We're about 4" below normal rainfall, having gotten a fair amount in August, but little if any since.
    ...See More

Help placing drought tolerant plants

Q

Comments (8)
    Those all want full sun and good drainage, if the part that doesn't get rain is under a building overhang none of them will like it if there is much shading. Otherwise the natural precipitation will probably be adequate for all of them, once established. Any that appear to be having a problem during a future dry spell can always be rescued with a good soak at that point. Mulching the planting(s) with gravel would probably be a good idea - you always want to mulch ornamental plantings with something, and the kind of planting you are talking about here is one that would often be mulched with stone rather than organic material. The most fussy about drainage is probably the lavender, in this region it seems a location cannot be too arid and austere for it.
    ...See More

Texas drought-tolerant plant name?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you for your thoughts. I do have other hibiscus including the rose mallow and Red Texas Star, but the it is not the same. The seed pods, leaves, and drought tolerance are quite different.
    ...See More

Looking for Drought Tolerant plant Suggestions for Knoxville

Q

Comments (7)
    Yes. Do not confuse them with regular Sedum which is a ground creeping Evergreen. They have a thick green spongy Leaf which holds plenty of water. The Woody Roots do not like lots of water or they will rot. These are almost like a cactus in that they love neglect. The tiny flower clusters are pink in August and resemble a crown of broccoli. These feed butterflies . In Autumn the flowers will turn a darker pink or bronze color depending on the variety. Look for one called Autumn Joy . It has the cinnamon colored flowers in the Fall. In the winter just snap off the dead stalks and discard them and the new growth will appear in the spring.
    ...See More
  • petalstx
    15 years ago

My catmint always looks good, salvia greggi comes in lots of colors. purple coneflower has got to be my favorite- long blooming, burst of color, doesn't need staking.

• blueangel
    15 years ago

Well here goes I usually here it for my opinions
    but here there are.

Drought tolerant plants,now there's a concept.
    Here in North carolina we had one of the worst
    droughts in history.I took notice of native trees,
    shrubs and flowers that grew in the area.

Noticing that most if not all were suffering
    greatly without water.Die off was evident
    and trees,shrubs were lost.most if not all
    the native flowers near me did not return
    this spring with the rain.Now I know that
    with conservation efforts and planting of
    these natives help and are to some degree
    drought tolerant,but is there a drought tolerant
    plant and or plants,I don't think so.

Yes there are plants that require less water
    and may be viewed as drought tolerant.
    But is it not true with all living things that
    water is needed to sustain life,such as plants.
    So with that being said would it not be in our
    best interest to design our gardens in respect for
    the needs (water) of the plants rather then our own
    pleasure of viewing it.By placing plants of the same
    water requirements with each other reducing the amount
    of water needed in that bed.
    Group 1 high water demands
    Group 2 moderate water demands
    group 3 low water demands (what we would classify as drought
    tolerant)

I guess it is all in how you define drought
    tolerant.For me I will stay with my formula.

Blueangel

• DYH
    15 years ago

Being that my garden was in that long, North Carolina drought, I had a lot of good survivors that were planted from fall 2005 through early summer 2007, zone 7:

salvia greggii Navajo Red
    echinacea Ruby Star (have it in both moist and dry spots)
    echinacea (either Sundown or Sunset, can't remember)
    spirea -- any flavor
    delosperma cooperii (ice plant)
    buddleia -- any flavor
    vitex
    nepeta
    lavender
    rosemary
    thyme
    oregano
    bronze fennel
    rudbeckia Goldsturm
    lambs ears
    stacys hummelo (required a bit more moisture)
    ornamental grasses (pampas, muhly, miscanthus)
    monarda
    lantana
    nandina Moon Bay
    nandina Alba
    snapdragons
    petunias
    dianthus (perennial)
    rose campion
    salvia black & blue
    salvia rose queen
    agastache Blue Fortune
    agastache (forgot name...apricot/pinkish)
    perennial heliotrope
    gaillardia
    tall verbena
    verbena Homestead Purple
    asclepias (drought fine; mixed results due to late frost in April)
    baptisia
    Achillea Prince Edward
    hepatacodium micionides (seven son shrub)

I blogged about this topic a lot. The only thing that I've now taken off my list is coreopsis. Those, either through the drought (1st year planted), or over the winter, were really hit and miss with the varieties of Heaven's Gate,
    Sweet Dreams, Limerock Ruby, Creme Brulee (1/3 of the CBs).

I also have some great survivors that got some minimal watering during the drought. These are moisture-lovers or just "regular" plants that did well:

Japanese iris
    Iris pseudocorus
    Iris pallida Variegata
    asclepias incarnata
    Canna (stayed in the ground)
    Colocasia (stayed in the ground, mulched)
    1 of 2 Brugmansia (stayed in the ground, mulched)
    nepeta subsess.
    carex Gold Fountains
    nierembergia Purple Robe
    creeping jenny
    daylilies
    Star Fighter oriental lily (1 of 2)
    tall garden phlox
    phlox subulata
    Encore Azaleas
    Knock Out Roses
    Japanese Maple
    Sweet Bay Magnolia
    Kleim's Hardy Gardenia
    White butterfly ginger
    Swamp sunflower
    Clumping bamboo fargesii
    purple smoke tree
    weeping cherry
    Kwansan cherry
    deodar cedar
    crepe myrtles (shrubs and trees)
    illicium
    scabiosa
    heuchera (even got munched in the winter and is now full)
    akebia
    confederate jasmine
    jasmine
    weeping willow
    corkscrew willow
    caryopteris (I lost one due to DS1's transplant skills!)
    hydrangea Endless Summer (it never gets to bloom due to deer)
    clematis
    Lady Banksia roses
    Leucanthemum Broadway Lights
    geranium Brookside
    balloon flower

Also, the daffodils, bluebells and Dutch iris came back strong.

I'm sure that I've left something out! I think I've listed my entire garden...the only thing I don't recommend now is that coreopsis.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: blogged about the drought over the year

• blueangel
    15 years ago

Cameron
    Thank you
    may I use your list to try
    I was given my view on this
    and what I observed.
    My gardens as most know are
    still in the planning stages
    I did loss last year fifteen
    native azeala that where on
    the property when I purchased
    the home the were old ones
    and we had plan on removing them.
    I posted on the Carolina forum last
    year for suggestion on plants for our
    region,only recieved two reply's
    one of them from Dottie.

Blueangel

• irene_dsc
    15 years ago

I just read a book called Dryland Gardening (iirc). It was interesting - the introduction pointed out that with global warming, the big thing is that we are getting more extremes of weather in all sorts of ways. So, you may need to worry about drought one year, and lots of rain another year. It also talked a lot about how to prioritize your watering - basically, new plants, annuals and vegetables need the most constant watering until they get established.

One thing I found interesting is that she said that echinacea purpurea is NOT very drought tolerant. I had just planted some this year, and I had already noticed that it was one of the first plants to start drooping, which had really surprised me, since it is a prairie plant. I'm hoping that once it gets established, it will do a little better! I had some at the old house (Magnus, not the species), and it seemed to do fine without much water after the 1st summer. I had a soaker hose in that bed that I barely used after the first year. :)

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

Irene just pointed out what I was about to type.

Drought tolerant is meaningless until a plant is well established;
    good reason not to attempt a 'drought tolerant garden' in hot summer.
    Another good idea is to establish some type of 'rain garden' to soak up the extra water when it does rain.

Nell

• catankgirl
    15 years ago

Gaura! Wait, gaura probably isn't cottagy, huh? Can it at least count as cottagy in California? ;)

• DYH
    15 years ago

I think gaura fits in a cottage garden. I have one...in there somewhere! :-)

Blueangel -- I replied to your email. Sure, go ahead and copy the list. Part of my enjoyment in gardening is being able to test plants with drought and deer and then report the results.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I know your zone is different from mine, but we do have very hot and humid summers.

I never water tall bearded iris. In fact they say to water them once in their life.....at planting.

Russian sage, hollyhocks, gaillardias, lavenders, nepetas, peonies, and the sages.

I personally think anything you like fits in a cottage garden.

• contrary_grow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, everyone - you've given me lots of plant ideas. I agree with you, Blueangel, about planting by groups of water needs. I have tried to do that in at least one area. And I certainly learned that some plants should not receive too much water. I had a waterline leak for two months (because they wouldn't fix it until I took some action) when we were having our wettest spring in a long time, and had a number of plants die. I also agree with Lorna that mulch is the best thing you can ever do for your plants. That's why I'm trying to mulch everything really well this year. And I should have learned this in prior years, but I should not give in to my impulses and purchase plants after the middle of May. It's just too hot and they don't have much of a chance of survival. I think the penstemon I just planted from Bluestone are already goners.

Thanks,
    Mary

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

Everyone is mentioning plants that are considered drought tolerant but miss another very important factor - GOOD SOIL preperation - I have almost all the plants Cameron has in her gardens and live in pretty much the same area and suffered the same drought conditions but I don't think my soil is as good as hers. We are working on it but you really need LOTS of organic matter that will retain moisture. My soil in many places actually sounds 'hollow' when I work it if that makes sense. I am totally convinced that the difference between so many of our gardens making it through drought goes right back to the soil. I have another truck load of garden soil not top soil coming next week to help improve mine plus working in homemade compost - one day my gardens will have good rich dirt for my plants to revel in - rain or drought....

Lynne

• natalie4b
    15 years ago

From my experience, the "sun loving" plants do much better in a semi-shade when there is a "water ban" and infrequent rains, in addition to 95F in my zone.
    They do much better if planted a year or more before (preferably in fall), and had a chance to develop strong root system. Rookies have a tougher time, especially spring planted ones.

• blueangel
    15 years ago

Cameron did not recieve your e-mail
    and Thank you for the use of the list.
    lynnencfan I agree with soil being an
    important part of managing the garden.
    I am In Charlotte and reported on what
    I notice here in The south park area.

Blueangel

• faltered
    15 years ago

What a nice discussion! I started leaning towards more drought-tolerant plants a few years ago. Try looking for things that are native to your area, as they usually require less water than most.

There are also grasses, ratibida columnifera, gaillardia, daylilies, sedum, and of course many annuals will do well in the hot, dry weather.

Tracy

• keesha2006
    15 years ago

I like live 4 ever...it needs little water. I never use to be a fan of yucca..considering them large ugly monsters...but I now love them to a degree..they flower with no care...no water..and when everything else is saying to darn hot!! So, I decided they deserve credit for that...My iris seem to also do decently with little water..in fact better with little water than to much...they die out from wet feet but never for me at least from being dry.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

Let me add this observation: We had a severe drought last year. This year we're starting off dry again.
    Many plants that 'survived' last summer with what water I could give them, did not adequately recover during a dry winter and show the effects this year.

A specific example:
    I have a row of tough, old, heirloom daylilies that managed for years in dry shade under pine trees when there was not a resident gardener here.
    I did not make a pic this year. There were few scapes and there are dead leaves halfway up.
    They will survive, but not thrive, without adequate water.

May 28, 2007, drought:
    {{gwi:689802}}

May 26, 2006 -- adequate water in spring
    {{gwi:689805}}

Nell

• woodyswife
    15 years ago

Centranthus is known for being drought tolerant. I started some from seed last year and they are really blooming in my garden now--these have really brightened up my perennial bed. I have the more common reddish pink and would like to get the white variety too.

Sponsored