SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oxankle

Those little 'white bumps'

oxankle
16 years ago

I have been reading with interest the descriptions of the "little white bumps" that form on cuttings as they begin to root. Until I saw Pitandiego's picture of a rooting cutting on Figs4Fun tonight I thought that the roots formed at nodes or at the cut ends. Now I understand that they can form anywhere on the cutting.

What I do not understand is how common is it for these bumps to form from one end of a cutting to another. I have some cuttings in a ziploc. I placed them in a storage box over about a half inch of water, lid almost on. I put a heating pad on "low" under the box on the floor. The warmth keeps condensate on the walls of the box but the figs rooting in cups in the box are not wet.

The figs in the Ziploc are in the box as well, and I can see these "white bumps" forming all along the stem from one end to the other. They look like healthy root tissue to me, but they are forming even at the budded tip end of one of the cuttings.

Is this common? If it is, what happens to the roots above the nodes that are not buried when you pot?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!