SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

Butterfly Ginger

13 years ago

My Butterfly Gingers are up. I LOVE these flowers.

{{gwi:654137}}

The tallest ones are about 2-1/2 ft. I transplanted them to a sunnier location. The Redbud tree has really spread out low and horizontally and the shaded area is now too shaded. So, last year my butterflies didn't bloom. I hope they do better this year. I set them out in two locations to see where they do best. I hope they don't die. {{gwi:654135}}

I got them from my cousin in Hawaii years back. When she and her husband moved to the mainland (why would anyone want to leave Paradise?) she brought some of her most loved plants with her and brought me this Butterfly Ginger for my garden.

{{gwi:654133}}

June 2005

When I grew it in a pot it bloomed and bloomed and bloomed. Since then, it hasn't.

Where do you have yours planted? Would love to see your photos.

BTW, she also provided the seeds for this Jaqueranda tree. Her sister started the tree and she in turn gave one to me when she moved up to Washington state. It grew for me for five years. I repotted it twice, but then sadly it died. Got too cold in the greenhouse when the power went off. This is next to my Koi Pond - 2005 {{gwi:689410}}

Please feel free to post your Flowering Ginger pics. Tell me your secrets to growing them. Soil, moisture, sunlight, etc.

~Annie

Comments (14)

Sponsored