SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19717033

My Fig trial ,Finding!!!

15 years ago

These year I had a lot of Frost damage on my figs planted inground in my Fig trial row.

Some died to ground some are half dead,some are treequarter dead and so forth.

We are looking at 40 varieties at once planted across my back yard,and all are 3 years old.

I am writing this ,because I have come to a conclusion,based on the pattern,of the Damage.

The conclusion,is that,:Positivelly,if a fig is young and produces a lots of fruits,when young,then,it becomes weak and can't withstand the next winter,and will die to ground or will die completelly.

All the figs in the trial row,that produced good crops ,as young trees,sustained a lot of Damage this last winter.

Most of the figs that do not produced any ripe figs,to now,are in better shape compared to the the ones that did.

Remedy Conclusion:

In cold climates:Zone 7,6,5,fig trees should be kept in containers,for about 4 years ,and not in ground,if one wants fruits.After that it should be planted inground.

If one do not have enough room,to keep the containers,(like in my situation,then,it is ok to plant them inground,but,the fruits should be taken off for the first four years,in order to let the tree built it's body up,and fight cold,later in life.

So it doesn't matter how much experience one have,there is allwayes something new to learn ,and adjust.

Personally I will adjust accordingly,to what I have learned this year.

Best Regards

VS

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery