SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robert_2007

Cold hardy fig difinition

robert_2007
15 years ago

Posted this to the wrong post earlier. Can some one explain to me the difinition of a cold hardy fig? Some thirty years ago, I noticed three figs planted against a south facing building, in Connecticut. Yesterday I had a chance to revisit that location. To my surprise, I found the figs still there, totaly unprotected. But, instead of there being three figs there were about 20 or more. They have created a colony of figs, that are between 6' to 8' tall. The colony appears to be about 4' X 10'. I think it would have been bigger. But, the backyard that use to be lawn has been turned into a parking area for cars. So the colony was right up to the edge of parking area and could not go any further. I took about 5 cuttings. Once I got home I noticed that some of the cuttings had winter die back and some did not. But, even the ones that had winter die back appear to be at least 6' after you remove the die back. The ones without the die back appear to be around 8'. I intend to go back and take more cuttings, a ruler and pictures, just to make sure what I saw is accurate . I wanted to make sure this time I only take the ones that have no die back. Although, the ones with die back were at least 6' tall, So my questionn is would the ones with die back be classified as cold hardy, or only the ones that had no die back? Last year it got down to minus 10 degrees here and minus 20 degrees several times within the last 30 years. I'm looking for figs for this area that would not need winter protection. Would like to hear from those of you who have had expierence with cold hardy figs. Thanks. Bob Harper

Comments (12)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm