SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
t_bird_gw

Climbing Rose recomendations....

10 years ago

Hi all,

I am looking to form an archway into the potager in a cottage garden type of ornamental area.

I'm looking for a mixture of flowers and herbs, but the area is solid on one side, and oblong on the other (due to a curving path to the garage, and I haven't really determined layout or flower choices as yet.

The only thing I have determined is that I want an archway with climbing roses over the sidewalk.

I want 2 separate colors and I want them to be tall enough (7-8 feet) that they intermingle over the top of the archway.

One needs be white, the other could be a pale to med pink, salmonish or peachy pink ok too.

And want a highly scented rose too! ok with any fragrance variation, but was disappointed when I bought a knockout rose that was a lovely perfect color for the front yard, and it turned out it had no scent!

What cultivars would you recommend? The area is full sun, and the arch would be at least 1or maybe 2 foot deep.

Would one rose on either side do? or should I do 4, with one at the base of each foot?

If I did 4, I would like to do 2 in white (same cultivar katy cornered) and then do a pale pink and richer salmony pink at the other feet.

I prefer a more elegant rose shape, but want profuse blooming. And would like the shape of the roses to be similar across the colors.

Any recomendations on not only the cultivarrs, but on how to arrange the arch?

More questions:

How long does it take for the roses to cover the arch?

When is the best time to purchase and plant the roses?

This is near my carefully amended and composted potager area, so the soil has been developed for several years - what special soil needs do roses need?

I have heard they prefer a more acidic soil - any suggestions on how can I accomplish that in a small area for the roses, but not to affect the neighboring soil?

merci beaucoup!

Comments (10)

Sponsored