SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jean_ar

wow, two more blooms to share

jean_ar
15 years ago

This is the first blooms ever on these two DL's that I got last fall from Wilds.I love both of them,especially this first one.

Strawberry Surprise; Its a lavender Pink and a 5 1/2 inch bloom.

{{gwi:745367}}

Brave Heart.

Hope you like them.

Jean

Comments (23)

• i_c_dillies
    15 years ago

Jean,
    Those are beautiful. Bet you are doing the 'happy dance'.
    Lrae

• iouone
    15 years ago

very nice indeed

iouone

• tahtah4now
    15 years ago

Nice! I like the color of Strawberry-lav pink, it pops! I also like the dark color of brave heart. I love your garden. What did you use for dividers?

Tammy

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

Beauties, thanks for sharing!

• mikeinmo
    15 years ago

I'm really jealous that some areas already have blooms. I have not seen any blooms here in mid MO yet. I just had some new beds made on the sides of the house and before I knew the workers were coming, they had already dug up two new daylillies I planted last year. I was able to save the ones on the other side of the house.

Oh. love both of those Jean !

Mike

• ladylovingdove
    15 years ago

Very colorful, thanks for sharing!!

Dot

• katlynn719
    15 years ago

Jean, Looking good! You've got lots of nice ones already.
    Kathy

• okbt
    15 years ago

Nice colors. Thanks for sharing.

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

Very pretty Jean...especially love the color of SS...thanks for sharing.
    Jan

• jean_ar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LRae.Thank you.I sure felt like doing a Happy Dance.
    Iouone;Thank you,
    Tammy, Thank you..That is not dividers you see.Its soaking hose that I don't use no more,I shoud remove them,since I quit using them.Some plants got watered good and others didn't get any,so I decided I rather do it myself then I know they all get water.
    Greenthumbfish;Thank you.
    Mike, maybe you will have blooms just any day, now.Sorry about your new DL's.
    Dot, Thank you.
    Kathy, Thank you,I don't have many,but I love what I do have,hopefully one day I will have some pretty ones like I see here with them ruffles.
    okbt;Thank you.
    Jan; Thank you,I am loving this SS, too.

Thank you all for the nice comments.

Jean

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

I love that Brave Heart, even the buds have a splash of color on them, would like some of those. I got my lilies from Wild's, too, both DL and Asian. I thought they advertised one earlier this year as Purple d'Oro but don't see it in their catalog now, but they have another nice purple one.

All I have is Jedi Free Spirit, 12, and a couple freebies, Baja and Frans something. None of the dl's bloomed last year but am hoping some do this year, the fans are getting bigger, possibly, than that one photo, so there is hope, just too early here.

• jean_ar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aliska: I hope yours blooms this year, too. I like this Brave Heart, too,but wish the blooms was a little bigger.Its bright anyway.I have one from Wilds called Strutters Ball which is dk purple.It has scapes on it,and can't wait to see a bloom on it.

Jean

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

I've got their spring catalog and see Strutter's Ball. That is pretty, and I don't find much purple in their (sale) catalog. I googled on Brave Heart and can't find that. Small bloom or not, it is stunning. I'll have to go through all their daylilies or call them. After I get the rest of my things waiting to be planted, I'm gaining on it lol.

This really belongs on the other lily forum, but I fell in love with an Asian lily called Color Parade, planted 12-15 of them a couple days ago, 1st hope it grows and 2nd, hope it blooms true to their photo in the catalog and one I found on the web. They sat in the fridge for a couple weeks or more and got some mold & blackened on them, but several of the scales seemed firm so I'm hoping for the best. I didn't have the bed ready.

I had a terrible time deciding which daylilies to order, then decided on Jedi but wonder if I'd rather have had a couple others, wanted a grouping of all the same color.

The good thing, and I know some folks don't think much of Wild's, but when my fall order came in late July/early Aug, I think, it was so blasted hot, I was too busy watering & such to keep up with fall planting. So they sat in the fridge for over a month in their box. When I got around to planting them, I maybe should have set them a little deeper, but they started sending up leaves almost immediately and seem strong this year, didn't lose one. Plus there were tons of those funny things for roots. So far, I'd say I've had pretty good luck with them. I called them and think they said something about soaking but I stuck them right in the ground and watered a lot until they got going.

Overall, I think daylilies are more versatile and easier to grow than the Asians & that type, but I sure love them.

Sure appreciate your posting those photos and couldn't find the thread back but finally did.

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

It wasn't in their online catalog which is alphabetized, and I was going through daylilies and not the other. No Brave Heart. Also got a new sale catalog in the mail this am, none in there. Now I am hooked on that one lol.

So I called them, and they said that was last year; it is on a 3-year cycle.

Is there any other vendor who has that one?

I guess I don't want to load up on too many because she said they only bloom for about a week unless they repeat which is probably iffy and sporadic.

The one really good thing about daylilies is that they will tolerate some shade, whereas the Asian types are not happy unless in full sun and lean, with a few exceptions.

• jean_ar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't see it in this latest catalog either,Aliska.I got it last spring or fall, don't remember which,but think it was fall sale.Its about 4 1/2 inche bloom.Its a bright one.I got their Strutters Ball,too and it has scapes and buds on it right now.Will soon get to see a bloom on it.I have had good luck with this plants,with the exception of one that I lost.It was real small and we got a lot of rain after I planted it,and it rotted.All the ones I have gotten from Wilds was on sale for 2 or 3 dollars.I think Strutters Ball was $ 5.I can't afford the better ones on a fixed income and had to think about even the sale prices awhile.If mine multiplys good,I could share a couple fans with you later,if you can't find it no where else.

Jean

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

That Strutter's Ball is growing on me. I did find some Brave Heart (one on another site like this is all the wrong color completely, different lily).

I found some at the link I'm posting but either you have your camera set to vivid, your soil is perfect for that kind or something because these are nice but don't have the punch yours do.

If I really, really want something, I will pay what it takes, but then I offset that by starting a lot of things from seed and rooting my own rose cuttings which I enjoy anyway even if I have a high percentage of failures, end up with too much for a designated spot as it is.

I've got enough going for this year. If you get some to multiply enough so you can share one or two, I'd appreciate that, but you need some spares for yourself. I don't know how fast they propagate. I'd be glad to pay for postage, and if there's anything I have you could use, I'd certainly share it. So let's see where we are this time next year with it, ok?

I'm going to have to move some of mine because a plant my sister brought to me is crowding it/them, think it's a the one with the elephant ears with a shoot of funky yellow daisy-like flowers later on.

Mainly I'm into old garden roses but branched off into perennials that will complement those, have run out of sunny spots to put roses without chopping up more lawn which I don't think would be a good idea right now. DL's are ideal for me because they will do fine in part shade and don't lean.

Pretty but not as as nice as your photo looks even though they show a bunch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Platinum Palette Brave Heart

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

I can read all your camera info as your photo software preserved it, and I dl'ed a convenient little add-on to read it when available (not always) because photography is also a hobby, and I'm curious about what others have and the image quality. Yours are great!

See you have a CX7300 Kodak Easyshare. Now what amazes me is that your first photo was 1/15 sec, and your second, 1/11. That's really slow to handhold and it does look pretty dark in there. You must really have a steady hand to get those at such slow shutter speeds even though you probably just used the settings the camera chose plus negative exposure compensation of -0.5, presuming those figures are correct, don't know why they wouldn't be, but they give you 1/15.48, mine only works in whole numbers. Whenever I'm photographing flowers in bright sun (yours aren't), if I think of it, I dial in a -2/3 exp compensation.

I looked at your page and see you love roses, too. I don't grow the teas, did years ago, but always scout around for heirloom roses plus I have several Austins (finicky). And you're a leap year baby to boot. So only one "real" birthday every 4 years lol. At my age, I could do away with mine entirely, means the clock is ticking.

Hope you didn't mind the camera talk.

• jean_ar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aliska, No I don't mind the camera talk,but I am afraid none of it makes any sense to me,as I just point and shoot.I am not a photographer.If I was,maybe my photos would turn out much better.I looked at the site you sent,and it looks about like the picture that Wilds had on their site of this daylily,but mine is not a red.Its a really dark lavender and purple in it.Its a dark one and very bright, too,but not red..My photo is about just what my daylily looks like.I can't doctor the color,as I don't know how and expect I need some software to do it anyway.And,I am no computer whiz either.I am still learning how to use my computer. Yes, I grow about 130 roses,some I have rooted off of others,mostly hybred teas.Yep,I am a Leap Year girl.have had 19 REAL Birthdays. We will see h ow my daylily multiplys and if it does good,i will be happy to share some with you.I have a friend I think wants a fan of it too,and it only has 2 fans on it at present.Hopefully it will grow like mad and make a bunch m ore..

Jean

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

jean, I'll spare you any more camera talk. Actually your photos are excellent and it was my wondering if you might have that Canon Sx IS series where you can set the parameters in the camera to vivid color, that is why I was curious about your camera info and was surprised yours even showed up, most photos on this forum don't. I only check for it if I'm curious about a particular plant or photo. By no means did I mean to accuse you of doctoring the photo (I do that depending but not on my flowers, try to keep the colors true). I believe you when you say your color is richer and more purple, but it could partly be your soil and climate, actually not too far from Sarcoxie if that was grown there (I think they grow all their lilies but know they use other suppliers for some things like iris at times, not sure, get stuff in the mail from them for other places last year). I don't like that other one at Great Lakes near as well as yours, but except for color it does have the same exact characteristics. Yours is just that outstanding to me, and I don't go nutso over every lily I see, maybe in time lol.

All that I meant by that shutter speed is that usually they get blurry for as slow shutter speeds as you have, and yours are not blurry in the least, very sharp and in focus.

There is one thing about sharing photos. I never calibrated my monitor, but a lot do, and I know a photo can appear one way on one monitor and a little different on others. My gdaughter shares her photos with me, and remarks how different they look on my monitor. She calibrated hers. Being as into photography as I am, I should mine, but if it doesn't seem broke, why fix it? It's just more stuff to buy and learn, just don't have the patience for all of it, have learned plenty as it it.

Now only if you have enough next year, I'd be thrilled with just one fan. If you have enough (iffy), I can see that mine are not going to multiply that fast at least yet. Otherwise I can wait until the year after next, at my age you don't know if there will be a next year lol, and see if Wild's cycles into them again and hope they are from the same stock. You never know for sure.

People are talking about scapes, don't know what that is, do know what a fan means. I'm not even sure mine are going to bloom this year or when. They look like big grass, some have 2 or 3 fans but no more, but maybe they will shoot up something and it might be too early for here yet. I should have planted them a little deeper, was tired, as usual, and wanted to get it over with.

• jean_ar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, You caught me again,Aliska,I know nothing about the calibrateing a monitor either.I have never messed with mine,only yo turn it off and on.I don't mess with anything I know nothing about,for fear of messing up and end up with nothing...You sounded like me about at your age you don't know if there will be a next year..Are you older then me>? I am 76 as I am sure you have figured that by now with my 19 Real Birthdays.Have severe back problems along with it,so can't do much at a time...Well,hopefully this DL will grow fans fast and not do what me Red Volunteer that was given to me 3 yrs ago.It grows one new fan a year.It now has 3 fans.

Jean

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

Jean, I'll be 67 in August, never imagined you were older. I don't know if my back problems are severe, but they are definitely slowing me down, am supposed to go to therapy. I struggled to plant some things in pretty big pots which was all I could manage plus 6 bare root roses, last year 2 cherry trees twice because the first ones died in the freeze.

I used to work in computers, but these home computers are a whole 'nuther animal, and I try not to mess with anything I don't absolutely have to or want some new software really badly because too much can go wrong fast no matter what they say. I had a setback with my back just hauling my printer (big) home from the shop and hooking it up again where things are really tight under my table.

I don't know about calibrating monitors either because I don't want to. Since I got on the net in 97, I'm on my second one, set them all up myself, wasn't into the hardware end of things, and I've learned to do graphics and can do more than someone who majored in it, but I got burned out on it. Then I took up photography seriously, always had a camera, my father got me a film one with the mysterious numbers. I also set them on auto until I discovered a photography forum. They taught me everything I know to the point I've won money on some of my photos but am too old to go professional (plus couldn't take the stress of it), but there is still much to learn and practice.

Now with my revived interest in gardening, I've not been able to get out and take many photos, don't mind really. So don't feel bad. I didn't know squat most of my life about cameras. The best of it is I've been able to help and encourage my gdaughter with hers, and she has a long life ahead of her and is thinking of going professional. For college graduation I bought her a better camera than I have, newer model, and it was bandied about why didn't I take the new one and give her mine. I'm happy with mine, that's why. The only thing better about hers is that it has a huge screen. But it takes 10 mp photos, and I don't want them that big, don't have enough memory right now. So it goes.

I don't know about patents on lilies, but that one is so striking you could try to propagate enough to sell them. I read a post on here last year where a girl did that and sold them out of the back of her pickup, people snapped them up like crazy, and she made $800, don't know how many plants. Then she lost the mother plant. I hope she was able to find a suitable replacement. Some plants are so unique you can't really replace them. So many have the same name and don't look the same at all, same with roses.

I'd better quit bugging you with my chatter. I only pick a few threads here and there that interest me, can't keep up with too many and don't alway chatter so much.

• jean_ar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aliska.I don't mind the chatter.Its very interesting,but might be breaking the rules on this forum,I don't know.But if you would like to continue the conversation,here is my email address to send me emails,and if my computer will continue to work,i will answer them.My computer was down for 2 weeks,had a new hard drive put in it and reloaded windows back in,and the thing is still giving me problems BIG TIME.it keeps shutting off,after a few minutes,then won't restart for at least half hr. email address is Vivians932@hotmail.com,,, thats why I have to make this real short before it shuts off again.

Jean

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

Maybe I'd better email you, and sorry I got carried away, just have one more question and will try not to be an email pest because I can barely keep up with mine.

I don't *think* I broke any rules, but sure don't want to do that, and too much chatter can be annoying.

Alice

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH