SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

This Time I Ordered From Marietta Gardens

newyorkrita
17 years ago

Well, thanks to the folks here on the Daylily Forum who have turned me on to Oakes Daylilies and Marietta Gardens I juist had to order more Daylilies.

I looked at Daylilies at Oakes but seemed to find more of what I wanted from Marietta Gardens. I blew the budget again but this time I got a heck of a lot more plants than I did when I bought plants from Roots and Rhizomes.

I bought-

4 Cherry Valentine

3 Dragon King

3 Chili Spice

3 Forever Abundant

3 Cherry Berry

5 Classic Edge

7 Thanks A Bunch

10 Fancy Face

11 Flash Force

The ones I bought 3's of go each in a grouping so I have an immediate clump. The others all go in separate rows in different parts of the garden to make a mass effect of one type of Daylily.

Going to be doing lots of planting again when they arrive.

Comments (45)

• mlwgardener
    17 years ago

You've caught the bug. Some say it's an addiction but if it's an addiction it changes every year. ONe year I like White, the next red, the next purple and all the combinations of each spectrum of the rainbow. So be prepared, you will buy more and more and it's just plain FUN, EXCITING, and the best time of your life!!

You bought some beauties. Enjoy, Mona

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I always liked Daylilies and have had some old ones around the garden for years. Last year I bought about 16 potted Dayliles of various types when the local nursery has its big daylily sale. Planted them and liked the new ones so much I decided I should get more this year. But since I am expanding and redoing garden beds, I am adding lots of daylilies because I want lots of color.

The ones listed above each have a spot picked out for them. In fact thats why the different amount of multiples, so they fill up the section of garden I intend to put them in.

• Related Discussions

Just received my order from Marietta Gardens

Q

Comments (2)
    I imagine you will see blooms this year. I have ordered in the fall before & had blooms within a few weeks. Good choices. I have Autumn Wood, you will love it.
    ...See More

Marietta's Order Arrived!! - Blooming Yet? (pics)

Q

Comments (23)
    Hi Cole!! You know I was kidding about the 'hate you' thing, right? LOL... I really hate the fact that **I** don't live there! I find that a lot of info on how to plant bareroot DL's is spread all over the place, so I thought I would post my personal experience here so others could see. This is my first order of bare root DL's, so the learning curve has been steep. Thankfully, there are some really knowledgable people here and they help alot. I just keep asking questions!! I just got a great post on another thread (Aren't I Pretty Daylilies - Questions?) from tsbccowboy. He gave me a link to his pictures when he got his order, so I will pass it on here. Happy Gardening!!!!!!
    ...See More

I did it! My first DL order from Marietta (pics)

Q

Comments (15)
    Jessica, Thanks for the pic... wowzers - I can't wait!! I am currently taking a break from sweating like crazy from putting my 'black gold' into my beds (getting ready for my order to arrive). I figured today was perfect since it is only 75 and overcast! Great day to dig holes. P.S. that is amazing for Texas in July... Juliet - I hear you... The BF listens but sometimes I think he is thinking about washing his socks or something that interests him more! He is not real interested in gardening, but he will digs holes if I ask!! I use part mushroom compost, part peat, part vermiculite, part perilite, and lots of a regular garden soil and mix it all together... then blend it with my regular bedding mix that is already out there (which is cow poo compost, sand, soil and I guess some left over clay as that is the natural Texas garbage I have naturally). Everything seems to grow like crazy in it. All of the DL I have gotten (which is not too many - 16) seem to just love it. I put them in, and within 2 weeks they all have new leaves and some even new scapes. Could be the varieties I bought (Strawberry Candy and Going Bananas are just that... Going Bananas - do I have a food DL thing going on here???). But my understanding is that they can grow just about anywhere... but I think they like loose, well drained soil. I just want my purples and blues to be vibrant!! We will see what happens... I am new to all this too, so I read as much as I can and defer to the experts here! Jan - I am still in the buying phase... maybe after a few years I might breed my own and toss them to good friends, but I hope the need to have a daylily farm dosen't hit me!! I hear that is the last step in the disease progression. ;o)
    ...See More

Marietta Gardens - WOW

Q

Comments (4)
    Their customer service is excellent.They responded quickly to emails and had my order shipped quickly. The double fans turned into alot more and I for one, appreciate the extra fans. Definitely a place I would go back to again and order more. Julia
    ...See More
  • gdionelli
    17 years ago

Congratulations on ordering from Marietta. I think you'll be really astounded at the difference between their plants and those of R & R. And you're going to receive an outstanding bonus on that size order, too.

Enjoy!

• Cindi_KS
    17 years ago

Wow that's a large order. I think you'll be tilling up more grass to plant all those. Let us know what you think when they reach you--but I predict you'll have about 3 times as many plants as you expected.

• jkunkel
    17 years ago

You won't be dissappointed! Marietta sends nice plants for the price that they charge. I've had my eye on Chili Spice, you'll have to let us know how it does, and classic edge is gorgeous! Oh, tell us if you get Cousin Charles too!!!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I found an e-mail from Marietta Gardens in my box reviewing my order. They don't have the Thanks a Bunch which I had ordered 7 plants of but have everything else.

Since I put no substitutions they are asking if I want to substitute for something else.

It didn't say anything about which bonus plants I would be getting but I didn't put a list of plants.

Did you guys on the other threads getting those named bonus plants tell them that is what you wanted? I thought they would just choose something for me.

• gdionelli
    17 years ago

Re bonuses: I personally usually let them choose the bonus, because often I get something wonderful I wouldn't have actually chosen from the photos. But I don't own hundreds of cultivars like some on this forum - if I did I'd be specific about my wants. Sometimes I have requested, say, a Munson, or a dark purple, or an eyed daylily, just to give them a start choosing things.

The Shooters at Marietta send their own intros as bonuses.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So I e-mailed them back because they said they could not supply 7 plants of Thanks a Bunch, which made me think they did have some but just not enough for what I ordered. Sure enough they have 4 so now I have 4 plants of Thanks a Bunch added back to my order after the 7 came off.

I figgured what I would need based on the looks of the plants I got from Roots and Rhizomes and from what you guys are telling me I will have larger plants so I figgure I should be able to make due with the four for that spot.

• Waitforspring
    17 years ago

Since Roots and Rhizomes only sends single fans and Marietta sends at least double fans you'll probably have more than enough. I think they usually let you know what your bonus is when they email you telling you that they have shipped your order. It's lots of fun. I just finished planting all mine a couple of days ago.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My order is supposed to ship Tuesday or Wednesday.

As far as tilling up grass to plant more daylilies that is not going to happen, at least not this year because these Daylilies will not even come close to filling up the garden expansion that I am doing this spring and have the beds either done or in progress. I really have gotten too ambitious this spring and have been overworked in the garden trying to get everything created, dug up and planted but I am an impatient person so once I get an idea of what to do, I want it done. I don't want to think on it unless I am not sure.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I received an e-mail this morning saying my order had shipped. I received four plants of Chocolate Cherry Dreams as a bonus. Thats worth $200.00 if I had ordered them.

I promptly looked it up and its a dark purple 2007 intro of theirs.

What does NOC mean? I can't immagine Daylilies blooming at night.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of Chocolate Cherry Dreams at Marietta

• loveofmylife680
    17 years ago

Nice one, Rita I know you will be so exited waiting for blooms. I have one bed that was new last year so it should really put on a show this year but it has a bunch of unknowns in it, the other bed this year all have names, might not get as much of a show but still will get some to enjoy.
    Jill

• gdionelli
    17 years ago

Nocturnal means the blooms starts to open in the afternoon or evening and stays open till sometime the next day.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks. I didn't realize a Daylily could stay open at night.

Anyone actually have Chocolate Cherry Dreams? Since its a new intro I figgure it can't be around that much. Its a color that I certainly don't have and am trying to figgure out were I will place them.

• jkunkel
    17 years ago

I got Chocolate Cherry dreams as a bonus with my first (large) order from Marietta's too! I got three fans of it and didn't know where to plant it either. So I planted it between my purples, and Cousin Charles. Since its a red/purple in color I figured it would look ok there. I think the redish purple color will match cherry berry, fancy face, and flash force very will. The eyes on those DL's have a similar color. I would put CCD in the back because it is tall. Good luck! ENJOY.....Jessica

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My order from Marietta Gardens arrived with todays mail. Good thing the mail was late today as I was planting tomatoes today and would have gotten distracted with 2 boxes of daylilies if I had seen them sooner.

I have not unpacked them all, just generally taken a look at whats in there. Nice big fat healthy large growing fans. No wimpy stuff that you have to hope will grow for you, unlike another place I ordered. I am so excited about these Daylilies.

Well, I will report back more my order later but just wanted to share my excitement at a very positive start.

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Have lots of fun planting your new dl's Rita. :)
    Jan

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jessica- In my excitement of getting the Daylilies I forgot to say that I liked your idea of planting them in the back of either Fancy Face or Flash Force. Will decide which after I lay them out.

I did read on the Marietta website that they send one fan of the 2007 intros but they sent me four orders as bonus and two were one fan and two were two fan so I actually have 6 fans of Chocolate Cherry Dreams. I am going to split up the two fan and plant all six in a row in back of the row of the others.

I have my Daylily boxes out again after I put them in the garage for overnight. Am going to start planting after lunch. Had to work this morning.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ha, I planted the Flash Force with the Chocolate Cherry Dreams centered in back of them in a second row. I had ordered 11 plants of Flash Force and they sent me two large clumps (to be divided). I wound up with 16 plants of Flash Force which I put all in a row in the original spot I had planned them for.

I can already see that it looks great just from the way the layout looks. Filling in and blooming will be even better!

Off I go now to lay out and plant Fancy Face, which I ordered 10 plants. Will see how many I wind up with but its more than 10. They go to continute the long row started by Flash Force. There is a big boulder there that breaks up the two rows.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wound up with 16 plants of Fancy Face too. Planted 13 in a row in the spot they were ordered for. Added the last three to the row of the Chocolate Cherry Dreams on the right. That made that back row even up with the front, at least on the right side.

Made five plants out of my four Thanks a Bunch and planted them in their spot. Not near the others I have aleady planted.

Then I took my five plants of Classic Edge and took one fan each off two of them (they had four fans) and used those two as a new plant which I put to the side of the newly planted Thanks a Bunches as I still had a bare spot.

Now I am going off to plant the five Classic Edge in the spot they were bought for, which is to continue a Daylily row that currently is 9 one fan divisions of Strawberry Candy that I got from Roots and Rhizomes.

I haven't even gotten to the New Daylily bed I am putting in the front yard so you can see why I am going to be needing more plants!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I am done for the Day and there are plenty of Daylilies left in the box.

I planted the Classic Edges but miscounted what I needed so those two I took off the clumps and planted were pulled up and put in the row with the rest of Classic Edge. Will just have to order something else for that bare spot,
    ha-ha :-))

Had to do something else and then I planted my Four Cherry Valentines which I left in four clumps because thats what I needed.

I quit for today.

• gdionelli
    17 years ago

Rita,

You are going to have some garden! You must have a huge amount of bare space. My problem is having enough space to add one each of a few cultivars! I've ordered a grand total of 12 DLs this spring - I had to really limit things, because I'm outta space. I'm actually starting to think about what I can pull out so I can order more. When I started w/DLs I ordered the obligatory 3 of each to make the best garden display; now I figure they'll always increase, and so if I order one of each I'll have more varieties!

You've made some great choices. Classic Edge is one of my best performers - puts out huge bouquets and increases quickly. I got Thanks a Bunch last fall from Marietta - looking forward to seeing it bloom.

Elizabeth

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You would be surprised at all the stuff I have in my garden. Anyway, this year I am starting on areas that I had not gotten to before this. Still lots to do.

The Classic Edge and the Strawberry Candies from RR went in a small garden bed that I just widened to make room for them.

The Thanks a Bunch went in a place thats always bare. The Cherry Valentines went in a place that was grass last week and is now a row of four shrub roses and the four CVs in front.

The others in the long rows went next to the driveway were I just had some landscape ties put in to make a small retaining wall about three ties high. It needed something along there for a long time but I had to leave it bare until I got the landscape ties done.

Then I am doing a band new Daylily bed in the front yard which currently has nothing. Thats were the rest of the order goes, only I am going to need a lot more to fill up that bed. I want to see how it comes together after these go in to see how I want to lay out the rest of that Daylily area.

I have other spots I need to plant some runs of Daylilies and then I have a fairly large area to terrance at the verry back of my property that I haven't even begun to address.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So my stuff from Marietta Gardens is done. I have to do some more work on my new Daylily garden in the front yard were the last of them went and then I can decide what else to do there. Needs more Daylilies than the few I have there, thats for sure.

I was very pleased with the plants I got from Marietta, I am sure they will grow quickly and do well. I only got these planted for a day or two and already they are growing like crazy with the cut back fans sending out higher growth.

• cavamarie
    17 years ago

How close together are you planting these fans anyway?

• shive
    17 years ago

Rita,
    Those plants are going to multiply big-time and need a lot of space inbetween fan groups. I plant my daylilies 18" apart, and some people recommend leaving 24" between them. Are you sure you left enough space? The only thing I've every ordered multiples of was LYRICAL PRESENCE, a Stamile pink, and I sold one of the clumps this spring, because the other two needed more space.

Also, don't fill up all your new beds. Next year, trust me, you're going to want more daylilies. I'd put some bright annual like zinnias or cosmos in there and save some room for more daylilies next spring. It's a terrible sickness and you will never have enough. I've been looking for a 12-step program for awhile now. LOL

Shive

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I planted them very close. I had them in a row and wanted the row to fill in really quickly. Those rows I had figgured 10-11 plants and they sent me generous counts so I have 16 in one row and 13 in the other.

As to the front the clumps are far apart. About 24 inches. Then I want to make another full row staggered all the way around in the front and back of the ones I put in. I want to get some of those planted for there this year and will leave the rest because I can't do it all. Your right, I will want more next year. Heck, I am nowhere near done THIS year.

I had e-mailed Bill Maryott asking about the Evergreen Daylilies and some of his collections and he told me to plant his double fans 18 inches apart too so I guess thats about right.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Shive - Thanks for the idea of planting zinnias. I really like them anyway and I just have this one garden spot redone which is just off my back patio so I see it all the time. I want just the right Daylily there but nothing was coming to me ideawise.

I liked your zinnia idea so much I bought a flat of them yesterday and just finished planting them there today. Looks colorful and very smashing if I do say so myself. I have so many spots to choose Daylilies for its nice to have one spot taken care of, even if they are not Daylilies. There is always next year and I figgure I will have learned more by then.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Great joys! Three of the four Cherry Valentines clumps I got from Marietta are putting up scapes. Wow. I must say I am very surprised as they haven't been in the ground that long. Lots of nice new green growth on them too.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One of them even has TWO scapes. I guess that makes up for the one clump that does not have any, ha!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Some of the others are just starting scapes too. The bonus plant, Chocolate Cherry Dreams is putting up a scape and some are just starting to show from where I have the long rows planted of Fancy Face and Flash Force.

So far the ones in the new daylily garden in the front, which are Dragon King, Chili Spice, Forever Abundant and Cherry Berry are not showing any signs of scapes and neither are the Classic Edges planted next to the Strawberry Candies all near my Lavender.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Darn, darn and triple darn!!! The supposed cherry valentines I got from Marietta Gardens are blooming a clear lemon yellow with no sign of an eye. I must have gotten mislabled plants.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I e-mailed the Shooters about my imposter Cherry Valentines and they already sent me replacement plants! This is a reall class operation and and wonderful people to deal with.

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Yes, the Shooters are great, aren't they? I'm probably going to place a second order with them soon, since a friend has let me have garden space in her (very large) yard, just for daylilies. I planted a couple dozen seedlings in "my" area, and only used 1/3 of it.

Someday, please post pictures of your yard in bloom - it sounds like you've done wonders with it already.

Laurel

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I want to order again too but my garden space is not ready and I have that large order coming from Maryotts after mid june.

I am doing a large daylily bed area in my backyard but I am still working on it and its not yet anyway near ready for planting.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My first flower opened on my Flash Force row that I put in. Lots of them have scapes so I will get bloom this year even though they are really new and still small plants.

What a cutie. I am really going to like a row of them in bloom once they get settled in . The scapes that are there now are REALLY short and they are obviously going to bloom like that this spring. Well, time will get them settled in.

In back of this row I have my Chocolate Cherry Dreams and they have scapes too but not near blooming quite yet.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One of the Chocolate Cherry Dreams flowers opened. Oye yuck and double yuck. Misshapen tiny flower of a muddy dark purple red color. Good thing I read about first flowers of new plants ofen looking less than perfect. It has a long way to go to look like the website picture.

• jkunkel
    16 years ago

Got a scape on my CCD, I guess I won't be expecting anything spectacular then. Im sure it will shape up, give it a chance, I will! -Jessica

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

Hi Rita, I got CCD too this year. It was a sub for something that I can't remember. I've been happy with it so far. CCD is a smallish flower, though...about the same size as Indian Giver for those of you who have that one. I won't post a pic since this isn't a photo thread. But I'll post a link to my website. I have 2 pics of it...one close-up and one clump. If you click on "next" in the upper right hand corner you can see the clump pic.
    Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate Cherry Dreams

• startin_from_scratch
    16 years ago

Hey all,

Had my FFO of CCD today also. Was/is not very pretty in any way shape or form. But after looking at katlynnlily's picture I have hopes of having a nice bloom in the future.

Roger

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't have Indian Giver so I can not use that to compair. After afew hours in the sun, way before mid afternoon (by one actually) the whole flower melted into a yucko glob that looked really bad.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I had more flowers of CHD one a day for two days after my post about them and the flowers were aweful. However, the plants are full of flowers on their little scapes and they have been blooming continually. Yesterday and today I was looking at them and I really think its not my immagination, they are starting to look better. Still not looking like anything I would give garden space too but maybe there is hope yet.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Today I have a lovely flower open from Classic Edge. Wow, I really like it already. I had a flower afew days ago but that was the day of the horrendous rain so the daylilies were so shedded that you couldn't see what they looked like.

Yesterday I had two flowers on Dragon King. Another that is going to be great as I liked it alot too. Very flashy with the red and the yellow green throat.

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

newyorkrita, those are beautiful daylilies. I've only had a few daylilies for the past few years but this season I've started adding to my collection. I can't wait to see them all next year in bloom.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was looking at the Classic Edge flower really closely and she has teeth! Plus there is a sparkley glittery edge on the flower. Wow. This kind of stuff is all new to me.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations