SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leviu

How should I prune Alii?

leviu
18 years ago

Hi all,

I surfed this forum once a few years ago and discovered the name of the beautiful plant I got on sale (unlabled) at a local nursury (and how to pronounce it, thank you, Al!). Gleaning from the posts much useful information, last fall I was able to propogate some cuttings from this beautiful Ficus, which is growing well in my sunroom. Now I have 6 little babies all between 6" and 12" high. How do I prune as they grow? So far I have been snipping off offshoots so they will start to grow like trees (instead of what seems like their propensity to grow into bushes.) Is this correct? When do I let them branch? I am just feeling my way here and don't really know what I am doing. I also gave the adult tree a radical prune last fall, but again didn't really know how to go about it and would like to know the correct way if there is one. Can anyone advise? I'd appreciate the help if so.

Also, what kind of fertlizer/soil do they like? I've had my tree for about 5 years and it is doing well, just seems to grow slowly.

Thanks!

Comments (6)