SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnibel7

Fig forum posting ettiquette question

sunnibel7 Md 7
15 years ago

Hello! I am new to Garden Web and would like to ask a question regarding posting ettiquette (thus the amazing title I created above). I am going to post this here on the Fig Forum because I suspect it is where I may be asking a few questions. When I did a little search of the whole site earlier to get a feeling for ettiquette I found one very long thread that had the useful insight that these things vary from forum to forum.

Okay, here's my question:is it considered "wrong" to post a question that is similar to ones that have been posted before?

I did so the other day and recieved a "go do a search" reply, which has niggled at me for a few days until I figured out why that reply bothered me. (I do not believe the poster was trying to be rude.) Aside from the fact that I had done a search and still had my question unanswered, I have always thought of forums as places where a dialogue can be started, as opposed to books where the information is static. (You can't question a book if you don't understand it.) Further along that line of thought, it seems to me that people's opinions change from year to year with their experiences and what people said 3 years ago (or even last year) may not be the same as what they would say today.

Another thing is that we learn through repetition, or in this case, reading information presented in different ways or in different voices. It can really help others to comprehend the nuances of our very complex "hobby" to read the same info. in multiple forms!

And speaking of multiple forms, we don't all use the exact same language to phrase things, so unless you do your searchs with a handy thesaurus, you can very well miss the information that you're looking for because the last hot discussion of it centered around a slightly different phrase!

So, I guess that if I were to answer my own question, I would say "ask away!" But I'm new here, so I would really value the opinions of the "regulars"! And for what it is worth, I really value the dialogue aspect of these forums! Thanks so much!

Sunni

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES