SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
antonv_gw

Rooting my UC davis cuttings under artificial lights???

18 years ago

Okay, I do not have any space to put these cuttings inside my house. I mean.... I have no windows that have adequate sun, and its just too darn cold outside(even though we had an excellent winter so far) I went to an incredible hydroponics store yesterday to become educated on lighting setups. Has anyone had better or worse luck using a setup like this?? I want to get started on these cuttings, but am still a little confused about the growth cycles. I obviously dont expect figs for a couple of years...so I just want to get these cuttings rooting, and established. Is it too early?? Will I have trouble in the fall, when the weather changes? I looked at a 4-100w bulb(flourescent) setup, with a heating mat(w/ thermostat). I have about 40 cuttings, so, I need the space with the 4 bulbs. THeyre the long ones...i guess 48"??(Plus, ill start to germinate my heirloom tomato seeds soon.)How much light should I be giving these cuttings? How many hours, and, how much power? How far should the lights be(in distance) from the cuttings? Should I be using a different soil, or food variation to adjust to the drastic light? I know that I will have to monitor the moisute a lot more carefully, especially with the heat mat. I plan on using domed lids over my cuttings. Is this wise, or should they be exposed? Any other help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)