SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bjs496

Heat Treatment for RKN

bjs496
16 years ago

I had planned on spending Christmas Day repotting my figs. However, the first tree out of the container had RKN. I repotted the tree and quarantined it in the back of the yard. Since then, I have stumbled upon 3 more containers with RKN infested trees.

On 01.25, I bare-rooted a Petite Negri with RKN. I decided to try using heat to kill the nematodes. I set up a 2 gallon bucket in the kitchen sink and adjusted the flow of hot and cold water until it ran 120ðF. I set the roots of the tree into the bucket and let it stew for 10 minutes. I kept the water running to maintain 120ðF.

Here is an enlarged portion of the picture:

Despite having already pruning the roots, there are still a few gals on the roots in the picture. I ended up clipping those while the roots were still in hot water.

Yesterday, I bare-rooted a Chicago Hardy with gals. This tree was too big to fit in the sink, so I moved my operations to the bathtub. I tested the method without running water. The start point was 120ðF. After 10 minutes the temperature had only dropped about 1ðF. After 30 minutes the water was still at 110ðF... even with the ambient temperature being below 60ðF. However, the thermometer stem was in the center of the bucket. I did not measure at the edge of the bucket.

I had about a dozen containers which spent time on the ground last year. So far, 4 of 6 that I've repotted have nematode infestation. Many of the containers were on the ground long enough for the tree to send roots into the soil below. I've repotted 60 trees which were grown raised above the ground. So far there have been zero evidence of RKN in those.

I will bare-root the treated trees at the end of this season and report on how they faired.

~james

Comments (25)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone