SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loslunasfarms

Nematodes Heat treatment Worked, now Cold Treatment!

loslunasfarms
14 years ago

I have had really good success so far with the heat treatment of roots for nematode infected pots. I lost a few small suckers, but I am about 85% with my trees surving. The trick is not to cook the roots to kill the tree.

All of my clear pots in which I heat treated the tree show no sign of nematodes. I have talked to the U of Missouri Nematology dept and their conversation gave me an even better idea.

We know that severe cold is pretty fatal to nematodes, so what I propose is the inverse of the heat treatment. Instead, what about a cold treatment?

My hypothesis: That with the tree in dormancy with the roots taken to freezing temporailty, you just might be able to cure the roots of nematodes. The difference is that just like Chemotherapy is that the cold can destroy good and bad cells, the RKN does not repair itself as easily as the cells within the roots.

Here are my procedures:

1. Bareroot the DORMANT tree and be careful to throw the dirt away, not in your garden. Do a good root pruning of the tree, be careful.

2. Fill a 5- gallon bucket with ice water, so the water will be essentially at 32+- deg F or 0 deg C. On the verge of freezing.

3. Next soak your trees in the water for 15 minutes.

4. Let the tree dry overnight.

5. Repot in fresh clean potting soil and keep the tree above 35F.

Im open to ideas, but this method may help with those of us that trees infected and are one of a kind.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert