SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lschibley

Need conifer suggestions for border plan...

lschibley
15 years ago

Hi all,

I am putting together a woodland transition border. I finally got my ideas down on paper and thought I'd throw them out there to see if anyone had any comments or criticisms. Here is the plan. Sorry it's a little sloppy, but I was so excited to get it done.

{{gwi:42055}}

Some comments.

The lawn is to the left (north).

The border is full sun at the street and is in shade for all but 3 mid-day hours at the house.

The bed is about 75 feet long and 20 feet at the end. The diameters for the Fringe Tree is 10 feet. Diameters for the smaller shrubs like the azaelas (AZ) are 4 feet.

RTD = red twig dogwood.

I think I'm happy with the plan. I just need some ideas on the conifers. I have room for two dwarf conifers and one fairly big tree. I'd love the tree to have yellow for a highlight color, especially in winter. I think that would look amazing with the red-twig dogwood. I'd love one dwarf to be upright and one to be globular, and probably both greenish rather than any strong color. The highlight of this border should be the variegated pagoda dogwood. I think too strong colors will take away from that.

Conifers in other garden areas are (i.e., looking for something different):

Pinus parviflora 'Hagoromo'

Juniperus horizontalis 'Mother Lode'

Cryptomeria japonica 'Black Dragon'

Microbiota decussata

Abies Concolor 'Blue Select'

Tsuga canadensis 'Cole's Prostrate'

Tsuga canadensus 'Moon Frost'

Picea pungens 'Globosa' (probable addition in another bed)

Picea pungens 'Salem' (probable addition in another bed)

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Gracilis'

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Nana'

Picea glauca 'Conica'

I have to tell you I am just giddy with the thought of being able to research and three more conifers to buy. If anyone has any ideas of something you think would look wonderful with this plan, please let me know!

Lisa

Comments (4)