SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicoleternity

Tall Perennials (no staking!) for border behind Irises

nicoleternity
12 years ago

Hi all,

I need ideas for a tall perennial that can deal with slightly cramped quarters (about four feet wide but due to the irises taking over, only about a foot of space deep) for the border in front of my front porch. I am hoping something that is over two feet tall but does not need to be staked because the area if viewed from all angles close up...

It's part-ish sun, sun all day until about 2pm, and good soil amended with compost. Since this is right next to my porch and the irises and phlox there don't bloom after spring, I'd love it if there was something that would give reliable summer color, esp into July or August. Things do tend to get leggy in this whole bed since it's not FULL sun, so I'm looking for a non-flopper if possible.

The front of the border (rather to my surprise) has become filled with heirloom irises about 2 feet tall with really lush foliage. They did not grow this way in the garden I was gifted them from, so I was not expecting them to be so tall and spread so quickly. However, I want to embrace it!

But that means the mid-height echinacea and the campanula planted with and behind them is totally eclipsed. I actually planted a short echinacea I think, which I did not mean to do, but has made the problem even worse.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. I will likely buy four or five mature plants in gallons or two gallons to put in a row there this month, I want that area to look better this year into summer!

Thanks

Nicole

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County