SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grapeapril_gw

help with making yews look more natural

grapeapril
15 years ago

I posted this on the landscaping forum as well. I'm new so forgive me if I'm not quite following etiquette.

I am in the process of improving upon my front yard. When we moved in 3 1/2 years ago the 7 yews in front of our house were shaped like cubes. We removed one that was blocking the walk and will soon be removing another and replacing it with something else. For the last few years I've let them grow and pruned them twice a year to achieve a more natural softly rounded shape but they grew and grew and rather than standing out there for days clipping here and there on all 6 (they were growing together and onto the porch, etc. and looking really sloppy and overgrown) I purchased an electric trimmer and sheared them. They ended up looking like big meatballs. I hate them now. I'm completely against 'shaping' things into balls or cubes, yet I'm guilty of just that. What in the world can I do to make them look more natural but still keep a size of roughly 3'x3'? I don't have the money to dig them all up and replace them. If anyone has any before and after pictures as an example or even what a nice yew should look like, I'd be very appreciative.

Here is a photo of the front of my house, meatballs included:

{{gwi:41118}}

Comments (16)