SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juliet11_gw

My Visit to Florida Daylily Gardens (photos)

juliet11
16 years ago

My husband had a meeting in Tampa last week and I was lucky enough to be able to go with him (my mom was willing to babysit the kids) and visit some daylily gardens!

We went to Floyd Cove Nursery and Grace Stamile showed me all her seedlings. Some have a lot of blue in them! She says she still likes working with dips. I didn't get to talk to Patrick because he was busy hybridizing. I met Guy Pierce who is now working with the Stamiles. He was telling me about all the wildlife they have around the garden and how once an osprey was carrying a fish that was too heavy and dropped it on Phil Reilly's head!

We also went to Water Mill Gardens (Dan and Jane Trimmer) and Phil Reilly's garden, which are smaller than the Stamiles' garden. They are all on the same street just a couple blocks from each other.

We talked for a while with Phil Reilly and he said that he can't grow his 2005 Stout winning FOOLED ME anymore because it is too dormant and dies in Florida. (He hybridized it when he was much further north.) He also said that if you're ordering daylilies from Florida and you live in a much colder climate you should only order in the spring so the daylilies have the whole season to grow new roots and settle in.

Here's a few seedling photos:

Patrick Stamile seedling

{{gwi:712345}}

Grace Stamile seedling

{{gwi:712348}}

Phil Reilly seedling

{{gwi:712351}}

Dan Trimmer seedling

{{gwi:712354}}

Here's a link to a lot more photos of named cultivars. (There's a subfolder that just has seedlings in it.) I hope you like them! I had a great time looking at all these daylilies. It was overwhelming how many beauties there were and everyone was so nice! My husband isn't really into daylilies, but he enjoyed looking at them too.

Juliet

P.S. When I get a chance I'll post some more photos from my trip to Ladybug Daylilies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Daylily photos

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH